Take it easy on the tanning

Selection Sunday has come and gone. Brackets nationwide have been filled out.

The Hoosiers have safely arrived in Dayton, Ohio, in anticipation of taking on James Madison. All of these events signify my favorite time of the year when the madness of March has commenced and orange leathery objects are out in full force.

Oh, I’m not just talking about basketballs but instead referring to the thousands who flocked back from their week away shades more orange than when they left.

Who says skin isn’t an accessory? It’s my favorite one.

A healthy glow is great. It makes you feel more confident, covers light blemishes and opens up your wardrobe to a whole new world of colors. When this glow is taken to extremes, problems occur.

If you perform a quick Google search for ‘tanning mom’ you’ll find the story of Patricia Krentcil, a mother from Nutley, N.J. who took her 5-year-old daughter along for her tanning joy rides.

The results were backlash from the public about her parenting capabilities and a tan so brown and leathery I couldn’t stop thinking about shopping for a new purse.

Ladies, take note. If looking at your skin prompts an hour-long online shopping session, you’re doing it wrong.

Aim for that famed pregnancy glow, without the baby of course. People should be asking why you look so refreshed instead of debating how many times a week you go to the tanning bed.

Spray tanning and rub-on bronzers work just as well at creating the desired shade.

Two rules: moisturize and blend. Don’t be the one walking around with a tan face and a pale neck. Seeing this dilemma makes wonder where your friends are.

Can’t tell whether you’re bordering on “bronze medal territory?” Ask someone who will tell you the truth. Don’t have anyone? Send me an email and I’ll let you know.