arts iu auditorium

‘Spamalot’ continues legacy of Monty Python’s ‘Grail’

Monty Python’s Broadway musical comedy “Spamalot” made its return to the IU Auditorium on Wednesday night to a nearly full house of students and Bloomington residents.

The show, created by original Monty Python member Eric Idle, advertises itself as being “lovingly ripped off” from the film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail.”

The show follows the misadventures of King Arthur, played by Arthur Rowan.

Throughout the course of the musical, Arthur hastily assembles his Knights of the Round Table, travels to Camelot and searches for the Holy Grail.

Many characters from the film, including the Knights of the Round Table — Sir Lancelot, Patsy, Sir Robin and Sir Dennis Galahad — return in the musical adaptation.

The show also introduces new characters into the Monty Python world, like the Lady of the Lake, who presents Arthur with the sword Excalibur that, according to Arthur, makes him king of Britain.

New songs by Idle and John Du Prez were written for the musical to go along with the familiar plot line. Songs like “I Am Not Dead Yet,” “The Song That Goes Like This” and “Knights of the Round Table” received many laughs from audience members.

Bloomington resident Doug Crandell said he’s been a fan of Monty Python’s work for a long time, yet Wednesday’s performance was the first time he had ever seen “Spamalot.”

“I’ve enjoyed Monty Python and their films,” Crandell said. “I’ve never seen ‘Spamalot,’ but members of my family have. I’m hoping it’s going to be a funny, good time.”

IU freshman Cori Leader said she was a big fan of Monty Python as well and that she liked “Spamalot” so much the first time she saw it, she decided to see it again.

“I love Eric Idle,” Leader said. “He is Monty Python. I also really like the songs. My favorite song is the song with the knights. It’s a silly song, and it’s stuck out in my mind from the first time I saw it.”

The traveling cast of “Spamalot” will continue performing throughout the United States through April. Stops for the musical include Minneapolis, Denver and Austin, Texas. Tickets can be purchased through the show’s website, montypythonsspamalot.com.