Hungarian revolution of 1848 commemorated

The IU Hungarian Cultural Association put on its annual commemoration of the 1848 Hungarian Revolution.

Located in the University Club room, the March 7 commemoration consisted of many parts of Hungarian culture and celebrated Hungary’s fight for independence from the Habsburg monarchy of the Austrian empire.

“This is a commemoration of the revolution,” said Lucas Torok, president of the Hungarian Cultural Association. “It dealt with people looking for freedom, liberty and equality ... for their own nation state.”

The evening consisted of speeches that Lajos Kossuth, a leader of the revolution who also left an impression in America, had given, as well as speeches from others.
“Kossuth came here to get help to start a revolution,” said visiting professor from the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Ivan Bertenyi. “He was very popular here, but he could not get the material help to the Hungarian coast.  But he did make a very positive impact with the U.S.”

Some of the speeches, given by students in the HCA, gave the history of Kossuth’s travels within the United States as he tried to get support for his home country. 

Even though he didn’t get what he needed, he did leave behind some tell-tale signs of his visit, such as the top hat with feathers towards the front and his u-shaped beard.
He also left behind an example for the U.S., which was dealing with the problem of slavery at the time.

“He liberated the serfs in Hungary,” Bertenyi said. “It was an example that we had to follow.”

Although Kossuth is not usually honored as a part of the commemoration, Bertenyi thought sharing his stories would be better for those in attendance.

“It’s traditional to hold speeches to commemorate, but I thought it would be more interesting to Americans to talk about the relations,” he said.

Also a part of the commemoration was world-renowned harpist Erzsebet Gaal.  Gaal, a doctoral graduate of music at IU, played traditional Hungarian songs as HCA students and members sang along. She also played a selection of her own songs.

Students also read excerpts of speeches both from and about Kossuth’s time in the U.S. The other speeches read came from people such as Millard Fillmore, Daniel Webster and Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The commemoration celebration ended with a dinner of traditional Hungarian foods, cooked by members of the community for all of those in attendance.

Torok said the speeches, songs and food were all meant to show students about a different culture.

“It’s important to know there are things for IU students on campus,” he said. “It would be good to recognize cultures other than their own.”