PHOTOS

Asianfest returns in Buskirk-Chumley Theater

A woman standing on stage smiles while looking to the side.
A young woman stanind og stage smiles while looking to the side.
A man standing on stage swinging a katana.
A man demonstrating a Taekwondo move.
A woman playing the yatga.
A woman dancing on stage while holding a Swiffer.
A woman in traditional clothing dancing on stage.
Three women dancing on stage while wearing bright red robes.
Two students in the audience watching the show while holding up their phones.
A drawing drawn in red and blue on a paper plate that is placed on a pile of bright pink fabric.
A tray of Kimbap.

Karen Huo walks in the Culture Wear Fashion Show on March 27, 2024, at Buskirk Chumley Theater in Bloomington. Huo is a member of the Asian American Association at IU. “Asian American and Pacific Islander month is an opportunity to tell stories of pride and accomplishments,” Associate Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion Rashad Nelms said.

Sayana Escue walks in the Culture Wear Fashion Show on March 27, 2024, in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. She is part of the Mongolian Student Association at IU. “This event represents a significant opportunity for us to recognize and celebrate the rich, interwoven tapestry of cultures, histories and contributions of Asian Americans,” Associate Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion Rashad Nelms said.

Paul Smith performs a traditional Japanese sword demonstration March 27, 2024, in Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. In addition to practicing traditional Japanese swordsmanship, Smith also works at IU in the psychics department.

A member from Taekwondo at IU performs a demonstration March 27, 2024, in Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. Taekwondo originates from Korean culture. It's a martial art that includes punching and kicking.

Ochmaa Dashzeveg plays the yatga March 27, 2024, in Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. The yatga is a traditional Mongolian instrument. “Asianfest has been a tradition and part of the Asian American festival for Asian American Heritage Month,” Melanie Castillo-Cullather said.

A member of the Japanese Student Association performs March 27, 2024, in Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. This Asianfest was the first one since 2019; it had been stopped due to COVID-19. “Last year around this time we said, ‘Let’s bring back Asianfest,’” Melanie Castillo-Cullather said.

A member of D-Force performs March 27, 2024, in Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. D-Force is a dance club at IU that pulls from Jazz, Hip Hop, Modern, K-pop and Chinese Traditional Dance. The group performed two different traditional Chinese dances. “We have been doing this [Asianfest] for many years,” Melanie Castillo-Cullather said.

A member of RAAS dances March 27, 2024 in Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. RAAS is a dance group at IU. “At the Asian Culture Center, we enjoy planning and organizing events that really speak to the core of who we are,” Melanie Castillo-Cullather said.

Audience members vote on their favorite performance of the night March 27, 2024, in Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. RAAS was voted the favorite performance. “This year’s theme is celebrating intersectional identities of Asian American and Pacific Islander communities,” Melanie Castillo-Cullather said.

A craft is pictured March 27, 2024, at Buskrik-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. Asianfest featured performances, food and crafts from many different Asian cultures. “This event and Asian American and Pacific Islander month is important because it shares the unique and varied experiences of the Asian aspect,” Associate Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion Rashad Nelms said.

Kimbap sits for audience members to take March 27, 2024, at Buskirk-Chumley Theater in Bloomington. Kimbap is a Korean food that is similar to sushi, but is not made with raw fish and the roll is brushed with sesame oil. “Representation matters,” Bloomington Mayor Kerry Thomson said.