Eulogy for old-school journalism

We gather here today to mourn the loss of our dear friend, old-school journalism.
You have gotten me through some dark and gloomy moments, as well as some of the happiest of times.

I have many reasons to thank you.

You were always the best form of medicine.

I still think back on the times when you came to my rescue. There was never anything too hard that a good old-fashioned article on the war in Iraq or a more lighthearted feature on Jennifer Aniston’s engagement couldn’t fix. 

You were always so reliable.

Remember the simple times when you consisted of ink and paper and landed on my doorstep each and every morning?

The thought of waking up to a freshly printed paper while drinking coffee feels antiqued to me. Now, with just one click, you’re able to open the door to a world with unlimited information at your finger tips.

I miss the old you, though.

I still cherish the touch and smell of a real printed newspaper or magazine.

I have seen you progressively shift into online print and then make your way toward social media. I stood on the sidelines as you laid off hundreds of workers at the biggest magazine publishing companies such as Conde Nast and Time, Inc. and even shut down the second-largest news weekly magazine, Newsweek.

I watched the Detroit Free Press, which was once a daily presence in my house, cut back delivery to only three days a week. 

Four years ago, when I declared my major in journalism, I was pretty naïve about the direction you were taking.

Looking back on it, I don’t regret my decision.

In fact, I feel as though I could be a vital part of the industry.

Most of you are probably reading this online, thinking I am the world’s biggest hypocrite.

Well, you aren’t entirely wrong. If I decided to take a stand against online journalism, I wouldn’t be continuing to live out journalism’s legacy.

Although I miss you, the old you that is, I’m also not blind. I see how changes had to be made to keep up with the fast-paced transformations occurring in society.

IU is significantly changing the way it teaches journalism, merging a once-dedicated school with the telecommunications and communications and culture departments.

Speaking of merging, once Twitter took off, I knew it was over. They knew what they were doing when they merged journalism and technology.

I am not totally opposed to Twitter.

It is, of course, the most practical way of receiving news.

As I prepare for post-college life and continue my job hunt, I have a lot of decisions to make. Don’t worry, I promise not to let you down.

Transformations have been made, but my love for you still lingers. I will never forget the memories of holding you in my hands and flipping through your glossy pages. You will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Rest in peace, old-school journalism. I can assure you that those of us who didn’t mind flipping, folding, creasing and accidently crinkling the newspaper pages when the article jumped to p4 will miss you.

­— azaslow@indiana.edu