National act Drew Hastings stops by Comedy Attic

Comedian Drew Hastings will return to Bloomington’s Comedy Attic today, bringing his markedly “unique” sense of humor with him.

Jared Thompson, owner of The Comedy Attic, says using the term “unique” is commonly used superficially. Yet, he said unique is truly the only word that can describe the comedian.

Hastings, who was raised on an Ohio farm by a British mother, is also the mayor of Hillsboro, Ohio. He writes a weekly newspaper column, too.

“Everything he does is slightly different than the way other people approach things,” Thompson said.

Hastings has 22 years of experience in comedy, and he first performed at The Comedy Attic on its first anniversary weekend in 2009. Since then, Hastings has returned once a year.

Thompson said one of Hastings’ talents is engaging audiences. Only, at times, the level of engagement is more scary than reassuring for the owner, Thompson said.

“Sometimes, you can hear a pin drop during his shows because you’re just so engrossed in the stories he’s telling,” Thompson said.  

While silence can be daunting, Thompson said the silence Hastings commands is better than laughter.

In a phone interview, Hastings warned audiences if they are easily shocked or offended, they shouldn’t come to his show. He isn’t afraid to tell the truth as he sees it.  

However, one could say that’s what makes his humor so unique. He doesn’t accentuate or cover up. He won’t dumb down his comedy for the audience, Thompson said.

“His show is very sharp, really, really funny,” Thompson said. “Nobody else is anything like what he is doing.”

Hastings compared his upcoming shows to sugary sweet treats, dubbing his show “thought-provoking,” “anything but mundane” and layered with “strong opinions,” but “not quite earth-shattering.” Then he said they were all encased in “extremely funny.”

“Like a candy coating shell,” he said.

This weekend’s performances will offer local comic Josh Cocks as the show’s host, “America’s Got Talent” finalist Doogie Horner as a feature act and Hastings as the headliner.

Cocks said he is excited to perform because it will be a valuable experience for him.

“Drew is a big man in comedy,” he said. “He is someone that a lot of comics respect.”