Kruzan presides at wedding ceremony

ciLGBTWeddings

More than a dozen LGBTQ couples marched down the aisles of the Buskirk Chumley Theater Thursday night to the traditional tune of Mendelssohn’s "Wedding March."

The event coincided with the PRIDE LGBTQ Film Festival.

A slideshow displaying photos, names and the number of years the couples had been committed to one another played on stage as the couples made their way down the aisles.

Friends cheered from the audience as they saw their favorite couples grace the screen and stage.

As the couples gathered on stage, hand in hand with their partners, Bruno Mars’ "Marry You" blasted through the theater.

Mayor Mark Kruzan, along with various members of the City Council, Monroe County Council and members of the clergy gathered on stage in support of the couples.

Kruzan outlined three major points regarding his support for same sex couples.

“First, it’s about equality of opportunity,” Kruzan said. “We want to stand with you in celebrating the commitment of all couples, and third, history simply will not smile kindly on those who stand against equality.”

"I am honored to bear witness to this wedding ceremony and lend my voice to a rising chorus in Indiana and around the country in support of essential civil rights and in opposition to the proposed constitutional amendment to outlaw gay marriage," Monroe County Councilor Rick Dietz said in a news release.

"Mark has been an ally probably all his life from his days in the Statehouse, and I’m just delighted that he is willing to do this," Doug Bauder, office coordinator for GLBT Student Support Services, said.

Bauder said the number of county officials, city council members and clergy also backing the event shows great support and makes a "wonderful statement."

"Marriage in this culture is a civil contract but often a religious ceremony, and to have parties from both institutions involved in this is really significant to portraying Bloomington as the welcoming community it is," Bauder said.

The immediate problem presenting itself is the proposed constitutional amendment HJR-6 in the Indiana State legislature, which would ban same-sex marriage, said Danielle McClelland, coordinator of the PRIDE LGBTQ Film Festival.

"It would seriously bring into question all these organizations or companies in Indiana that offer domestic partner benefits," McClelland said. "The state legislature has already passed it once, if they pass it again in this session, then it will come to a full vote of the state," McClelland said.

McClelland has been with her partner, Sue Ferentinos, for 20 years.

"This idea of taking away constitutional ethics, creating a second class of citizens, needs to stop now," McClelland said. "What’s amazing is what’s happening right now. That all these people from all walks of life are here in support and are congratulating us."

County and city officials, clergy members and the public stood in solidarity as the couples made their vows.

Audience members cheered as confetti and bubbles filled the auditorium right after Mayor Kruzan proclaimed, "With the power not yet vested in me from the great state of Indiana, I pronounce you as partners in life.”