IUSA call out draws possible members

caIUSA

Potential candidates for this year’s IU Student Association elections met in Ballantine Hall Wednesday evening to learn about the organization from current members.

IUSA President Kyle Straub explained the structure and branches of IUSA, and Election Commissioner Melody Mostow talked about the election process and timeline.

Mostow called the meeting “IUSA 101,” saying the purpose of the meeting was to make sure people know what IUSA is and does.

“We want to make sure that as many people as want to get involved in IUSA have information about it,” she said.

Straub opened the floor for questions at the end of the meeting. Several times during the meeting, both Straub and Mostow urged potential candidates to get in touch with them in order to ask questions and learn more about the IUSA experience.

“We just want to make ourselves as accessible as possible,” Mostow said.

One attendee, junior Sidney Fletcher, is currently involved in IUSA and said he already knew most of the information presented at the meeting. Fletcher has been a Congress representative for the off-campus constituency for two years in a row.

“I know a good amount about IUSA,” Fletcher said. “I came to network and to talk with people, to build camaraderie.”

Sophomore Aparna Srinath was in IUSA’s freshman internship program last year and is currently the co-director of the program. She said she is not planning on forming a ticket but is affiliated with people who are. She said she plans to support them in the upcoming campaigns and came to the meeting to be better informed about the election process.

Junior Casey Shelburne said he is interested in running for office in this election. He went to Straub to ask for information and advice and was directed to the call out meeting. He has not previously been involved with IUSA and came to the meeting to find out more about the organization.

There will be another informational meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Jordan Hall 124 for anyone who missed Wednesday’s meeting. The application deadline for candidates is March 8.

For more information about the election process, contact Straub at jostraub@indiana.edu, or Election Commissioner Melody Mostow at memostow@indiana.edu. The IUSA senior staff is available to answer questions by appointment or during their office hours from 7-9 p.m. Monday in the Indiana Memorial Union Student Activities Tower.