sports softball

Hoosiers winning streak snapped at NFCA Leadoff Classic

The NFCA Leadoff Classic presented a challenge for the IU softball team this weekend in Clearwater, Fla., as the team’s six-game winning streak was brought to an end. The Hoosiers came out with a 3-2 record for the weekend, however.

“For three games we did enough to win a ball game,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said. “We didn’t hit well this weekend. We’re a little disappointed, but we still came out with three wins.”

The team struggled early with a loss in extra innings to the University of Central Florida in their first game. Senior Amanda Wagner had a strong performance in posting her third consecutive multi-hit game, but the effort was not enough to avoid an eventual 3-2 loss.

In the team’s second game of the Feb. 22 doubleheader, the Hoosiers came out on top with a 5-1 win over Massachusetts. Sophomore pitcher Lora Olson allowed one run in seven innings, striking out seven hitters to tie her career high.

“Coming back after our first loss against UCF to beat Massachusetts (was a high point for the weekend),” Wagner said. “The way we bounced back to compete for more games was good.”

The team continued its winning streak by defeating James Madison 3-1 on Saturday. IU secured its third win of the tournament the same afternoon with a 1-0 finish over Fordham. Junior Meaghan Murphy held the Rams scoreless in her second shutout this season.

On Feb. 24, in their fifth game of the tournament the Hoosiers fell short against Pacific with a 9-3 loss.

“The first game was difficult, but [Pacific] was the hardest because it’s the fifth team and everyone’s a little bit tired and a little bit sore,” Gardner said. “We never really adjusted and then we gave up a ton.

“We’ve got a good group and they’re working hard. We just didn’t click this weekend.”

Gardner cited the team’s lack of timely hits as a big difference in the outcome of the NFCA Leadoff Classic versus the previous weekend in Atlanta, where the Hoosiers went 5-0 in three days of play.

Though the Hoosiers had weak points, pitching remained a strong point, as they only allowed three runs or less in all but one game.

The team will return to action March 1 for the DeMarini Invitational in Fullerton, Calif.
“We’re going to work on executing at the plate this week,” Gardner said. “We just have to be better all around, and we will.”