Graffiti attacks fraternity with AIDS claim

caAIDSGraffiti Carousel

Chalk graffiti was found on campus early Thursday morning, stretching from the south steps of Showalter Fountain to behind Woodburn Hall, past Ballantine Hall and toward the Phi Gamma Delta house on Third Street.

The graffiti referenced Fiji, stating at the beginning near Showalter “GOT AIDS, THEY DO, FOLLOW THE LINE.”

The line stretched across campus on the streets and sidewalks. Peppered around it were references to AIDS, Fiji’s members having AIDS and homosexual profanities. These included phrases like “fudgepackers,” “bangin monkeys,” “cumguzzlers” and “sausage jockies.”

The line ended just in front of Fiji house.

Mike Girvin, campus division manager for IU Physical Plant, said the obscenities and offensive parts have been erased by their crew, and that the cost for the cleanup will be about $500 to $1,000. The cost will be covered by funds paid by all students in their fees.

He said his department did not report the incident since the cause at this time is unknown.

“Sometimes we’ll get it and it’ll be fixed with a specific group, and then we can go to the dean of students,” Girvin said. “If you don’t know who did it, it’s harder to attest.”

Interfraternity vice president of communications Sean Jordan said at this point they do not know who is responsible, or if it was done by another fraternity on campus.

“Obviously, investigation needs to be done,” Jordan said. “All we know right now is that we’re very disappointed.”

If it is found that a fraternity created the graffiti, then Jordan said they will be taken before the IFC Standards Board for a hearing. After the hearing, he and other members on the board would provide an action plan, be it punitive, educational or both.

Michael Goodman, senior assistant director for fraternity and sorority life, said at this time IU incident teams have been dispersed to assist in the situation. These are teams trained to deal with issues of bias, hatred or harassment.

“We have no tolerance for this sort of thing in the greek community,” Goodman said.

Motivation for the incident at this time is also unknown, although Goodman and others said it was strange how focused the incident was on AIDS and homosexual slogans.

“We are troubled by the events that happened last night,” Peter Krusing, corresponding secretary for Fiji, said in an email statement. “At this time, we are unaware of who wrote the statements, and do not know why we were specifically targeted. We do not condone the inappropriate and disrespectful mockery of HIV/AIDS. We will work compliantly with IFC and Student Life and Learning in every way necessary.”

Jordan, who denounced the incident, said any intended joking about AIDS or homosexuality is uncalled for.

“That’s just something no one should ever be joking about,” he said.