Column: Time for students to help Tom Morris

A tragedy can bring a family closer together.

This past summer, IU Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Tom Morris was injured in a bicycling accident that left him indefinitely paralyzed.

It is tough for any person, especially a very athletic individual, to be told that he or she may never be able to walk again.

Although Morris was struck by the horrible news, the IU Athletic Department has united to support Morris through the adversity.

The efforts began when Morris’ cousin Kathy Beaulieu created the Tom’s Team Facebook page.

Beaulieu used social media to update people on Morris’ recovery and ways people can donate to help him with his medical expenses. 

When people caught word of the page, it spread like wildfire throughout the IU Athletic Department.

The athletic community was hit particularly hard by the news because of Morris’ great importance to various varsity teams.

Morris’ work has contributed greatly to the strength and conditioning of the men’s soccer, women’s basketball and track and field teams.

During the years, Morris especially bonded with members of the soccer team.
That connection has led to their support of Morris.

Morris was helping junior midfielder Harrison Petts train for the Hoosier Triathlon until the injury sidelined Morris.

Petts helped establish a website to donate money for Morris in the Triathlon.

IU athletes Jordan Hulls and Caleb Konstanski continued the efforts last June.

The two created a fundraiser at Village Deli to sell T-shirts and wristbands with the proceeds going to Morris.

The soccer team used Morris’ tragedy to inspire them on the field this year.

In December, the Hoosiers went from being one of the underdogs of the NCAA Tournament to winning their eighth national title. 

Konstanski voiced his appreciation for how Morris inspired them on Twitter in late November.

“Would never have got here without Tom Morris,” Konstanski said. “That guy has been motivation for us all year. We will always be #tomsteam”

When the soccer team won it all, Morris was in attendance to watch the victory. 

After the game, the team gave Morris the championship trophy to hold because of how much he has been a part of the team during the last few years.

Other IU Athletics teams have continued to show their support of Morris.

IU men’s basketball Coach Tom Crean elected Tom’s Team as his charity of choice in the Infiniti Coaches’ Charity Challenge.

Infiniti is donating $5,000 to each charity involved and will give another $100,000 to the winner of the challenge.

People can vote each day to their charity of choice by accessing the challenge's website, and the winner will be announced March 11.

This is a call to action to all Indiana students and Bloomington residents to vote for Crean and help Tom’s Team win the challenge.

It only takes the click of button to vote for Crean and can really make the difference in Morris’ road to recovery.

IU Athletics has rallied around Morris, and the students and Bloomington community need to do the same.

Morris said he greatly appreciates any help you are able to give and this is an easy way for you to contribute to a fellow Hoosier.