2 school records lead 1st day of Big Ten Championships

spBig10Swimming Carousel

The IU men’s swimming and diving team set the bar high Wednesday at the Councilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center on the first night of the 2013 Big Ten Championships.

After breaking two school records in the 200-yard medley relay and the 800-yard freestyle relay, the Hoosier men are tied with Ohio State for second place overall with 66 points.

“I am really pleased with the start, and I really think it’s just the beginning,” IU Coach Ray Looze said. “We’ve set ourselves up to have a really good meet.”

The team of junior James Wells, freshman Tanner Kurz, junior Cody Miller and senior Daniel Kanorr finished third in the 200-yard medley relay behind Ohio State and Michigan with their school-record breaking time of 1:25.15.

In the 800-yard freestyle relay, the team of junior Eric Ress, sophomore Matthew Gerth, sophomore Stephen Schmuhl and senior James Barbiere finished second at 6:19.68, also a school record.

The team will compete in multiple events today, including the 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard individual medley, 50-yard freestyle and 1-meter diving trials at 11 a.m. Finals will begin at 6:30 p.m.

“We’ve got to take care of ourselves tonight, get a good dinner, get to bed and come out swinging tomorrow, because prelims are going to be key,” Looze said.