Waldrip charged with attempted murder, escape

The man who reportedly assaulted two law enforcement officers and attempted to gain possession of an officer’s gun during an altercation Jan. 17 was charged with attempted murder Thursday.

Cody Waldrip, 32, was also charged with 15 other counts in addition to the attempted murder charge. The felony charges include aggravated battery, escape, criminal confinement, disarming a law enforcement officer and intimidation with a deadly weapon, as well as misdemeanor charges of resisting law enforcement.

On the evening of Jan. 17, according to court documents, Monroe County Deputy Sheriff Terry Mullis arrived at Waldrip’s residence to deliver a protective order filed against Waldrip. Waldrip allegedly evaded identifying himself.

A struggle then reportedly ensued. According to the probable cause affidavit, Waldrip sat atop Mullis’ chest and then began punching him repeatedly. Mullis told Waldrip he had heart surgery and couldn’t breathe, but Waldrip did not stop. According to court documents, Mullis is 62 years old and Waldrip is the manager of an exercise center and regularly works out.

Waldrip then reportedly escaped in a blue van, and Mullis fled to his police car to call for an ambulance and request backup.

According to court documents, Bloomington Police Department Officer Brett Rorem responded to Mullis’ backup call and attempted to approach the blue van Waldrip was driving. Waldrip reportedly sped away, then parked the van and exited the vehicle.

Rorem then pursued Waldrip on foot as Waldrip resisted multiple calls to surrender to arrest.

Rorem then reportedly reached for his baton and attempted to strike Waldrip in the leg, but Waldrip allegedly wrestled it away. The altercation continued.

According to court documents, Rorem felt Waldrip pulling at Rorem’s pistol case multiple times. Rorem managed to retrieve his pistol and fire a shot at Waldrip but missed him. Waldrip then fled.

Waldrip stopped running and picked up what was described as a small tree log. Rorem allegedly sprayed Waldrip with pepper spray, but it had no visible effect.
Waldrip was commanded at gunpoint to put down the log and surrender, but didn’t.
Several officers at the scene then reportedly tackled Waldrip and eventually handcuffed him.

While Waldrip was giving his statement in police custody, he said he felt Mullis was “having a bad day” and wanted to arrest someone. Waldrip said Mullis trying to arrest him scared him, according to court documents. Waldrip told police he has a history of panic attacks and has been previously hospitalized.

Police noted Waldrip had received papers from Monroe County Sheriff’s employees three times previously, and each of those was uneventful. Waldrip declined to explain to police why this time had been different.

Waldrip entered a plea of not guilty, and he will use a court-appointed public defender.

He is currently in the custody of the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department.

The pretrial conference is scheduled for April 10.

— Colleen Sikorski