This isn't your typical Internet pussy...

Thousands of YouTube views later, this Bloomington cat has hit the big time. We talked to the man who knows Lil Bub best, her owner Mike Bridavsky, to learn more about the cat who just wanted a bite of yogurt.

Lil Bub

INSIDE Did you name her?  Why Lil Bub?

Bridavsky
I just kind of picked her up and said, “Hey Bub.” But the official story is that she telepathically told me her name. Every once in a while people ask, “Why would you name your girl cat Bub?” Well, those people are stupid. But even the vet couldn’t tell if she was a guy or girl right away. In hindsight, it is a catchy name.

INSIDE How would you describe her?

Bridavsky The way I’ve always described her. I think of her as kind of magical, and I think she is adorable in her own way. She was a lot weirder looking as a kitten. Her eyes were really far apart, and she kind of looked like she would smell bad.

INSIDE How do you feel about her being lumped in with the other viral cats?

Bridavsky Her online presence is more like a comic book than something static and viral. There’s a backstory, so she represents something. Plus, she’s not just a compilation of memes.

INSIDE Do you think Lil Bub has any idea that she receives more attention than most cats?

Bridavsky No, that’s kind of like her whole attitude. You don’t get Bub’s whole vibe on the Internet. She is completely unaware of her disabilities. She’s always in awe and open to any situation. She’s self-unaware. I feel like that’s part of what people connect with. Everyone wants to be self-unaware like her.

INSIDE What are some of Lil Bub’s quirks?

Bridavsky The way she is around people. My other cats would freak if I took them outside, but she’s totally calm and zen. She’s very vocal about when she wants something. She tells me when it’s time to go to the bathroom. She tells me when it’s time to eat. She’s just always stoked on life.

INSIDE Does she get jealous when you don’t pay attention to her?

Bridavsky She’s not like that. She gets more freaked out when she can’t play or defend herself from other cats. But as far as attention, no. That’s how she’s different.

INSIDE How did you go about creating Bub’s Internet personality?

Bridavsky She’s pretty sassy in her comments on YouTube and Facebook. She wasn’t always famous, and I never expected her to be.
When she first started getting questions, it was weird. Her voice is a combination of what I think she would actually be like. Because of the way she looks, a lot of people assume she’s mentally challenged, so I purposely made her look smarter than anyone else. She’s a smart, confident woman.

INSIDE Has a fan ever angered you or Bub?

Bridavsky There are a lot of people who want favors. People want to make their animals famous. A lot of people will ask me to post stuff about their pets. They’ll say, "My cat is special, too. Can you help her become famous?" I think if you actively pursue it, you’re just not going to get famous because it’s just something that happens.

INSIDE How much of your life would you say you devote to the business of Lil Bub?

Bridavsky I’m very closely involved. All the merchandise ideas are mine, and my friend David designed the website.

INSIDE Have you ever designed any accessories for cats?
Bridavsky No. Bub has a strict rule of being naked all the time.

INSIDE Do you play with Bub often?

Bridavsky Yeah, she goes nuts for a laser pointer, but she’s mellow all the time. She’s a totally different animal. She doesn’t seem like a cat, she seems like a Bub.

INSIDE Is there anything different about Lil Bub’s behavior that typically doesn’t make it on the web clips?

Bridavsky Well no one ever asks me how she poops and pees. But any more she will let me know when she needs to go to the litter box, then I scratch her belly and she pees. When she poops she just lays on her side. Poop gets on her fur a lot.
I think most people don’t realize how much work she is. It’s totally worth it for me, but for people who just want a cat, a Bub isn’t for them. She’s way more maintenance than a dog, for sure. She even drools as much as a dog. She produces absurd amounts of saliva.

INSIDE What is Bub’s disease?

Bridavsky It’s called osteopetrosis, and it’s exceptionally rare. There are only a few reported cases, so there’s not enough information to really know what’s up. But there’s no cure. As a kitten she used to run up the couch and now she can’t really run at all. But she army crawls, and she doesn’t let it get to her. She doesn’t seem to be in pain. But that’s just how Bubs are.