The College of Arts and Sciences graduates define post-graduation success

The College of Arts and Sciences has a wealth of creative students. Art graduates’ success in obtaining a job post-graduation is sometimes seen as relative rather than based on earnings.

Students majoring in art, film, writing and similar areas face a different challenge than students aiming to work in corporate America.

Andy Uhrich, graduate teaching assistant, received his master’s degree in moving image archiving and preservation. He said the idea of success in the eyes of an art graduate differs.

“These pursuits have never really led to well-paying jobs historically,”Uhrich said. “And I am not sure if looking at them as well-paying jobs was ever the reason anyone became a writer, painter, filmmaker, etc. Society values certain occupations over others.”

Acquiring various skills in an area of study propels the chances of success, said Martha Macleish, director of undergraduate studies at the School of Fine Arts
Gallery.

“Many of the skills that art students could acquire will be useful and marketable when they are looking for employment,” Macleish said. “Art students should cultivate a diverse set of technical skills from drawing and building to digital and photography.”

Tim Skinner, who received a bachelor of arts in psychology from IU, recently self-published a novel called “Shades of Eva.” Because of the “unwelcoming publishing industry” he said he experienced, Skinner decided to forge his own path. He said he believes the age of technology helps artists do the same.

“Painters and writers and artists have a lot more tools at their disposal in the age of the Internet to get their wares out there, so to speak, and we don’t have to be so dependent now on industries,” Skinner said.

Job opportunities expand beyond the industry standard. Macleish said she encourages branching out into SoFA Gallery events and looking further into the
future.

“Students should be as involved with the many fine arts department events happening outside of the classroom as much as possible,” Macleish said. “We have professional artists and critics visiting the school throughout the semester giving public lectures about their work and experiences in the art world. Additionally, students could look for internship opportunities to further their marketable skills.”

Uhrich said besides academics, success comes down to the drive and passion students have for their craft.

“From my friends who have made some degree of success, and this is a success that is on their terms, they have done so through a total devotion to their craft,” Uhrich said. “They are always working and hustling to get their work seen by
others.”