Schmidt, Snodgrass earn weekly Big Ten honors

After breaking his own school record in the 3-meter dive this past weekend in a double-dual home meet against Ohio State and Iowa, junior diver Darian Schmidt was named Big Ten Diver of the Week on Tuesday.

Representing the IU women’s team, freshman swimmer Brooklyn Snodgrass earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week, her third Big Ten award.

Schmidt beat his record of 459.30 with a score of 460.20 on the 3-meter springboard at the meet. The Hoosier men swept both opponents, defeating Ohio State 150-148 and Iowa 172-126.

Snodgrass continued to place high for the Hoosiers in a meet against Notre Dame this past Saturday. In the 100-yard backstroke, she placed first with a time of 54.21, a NCAA B-Cut.

Finishing the 200-yard backstroke in 1:56.32, Snodgrass earned first place and achieved yet another NCAA B-Cut time. In the 200 individual medley, Snodgrass placed third with a time of 2:03.90.

The IU women defeated No. 19 Notre Dame by 50 points with a final score of 175-125.

The Hoosier women will compete against another in-state school at noon Saturday when they face Purdue in a dual meet at West Lafayette. The meet will air live on the Big Ten Network.

IU’s men will compete Feb. 1 when the Hoosiers travel to Louisville, Ky. to compete against Louisville.

Gabrielle Reed