5 games, 1 loss during break

Dec. 15: Butler 88, No. 1 Indiana 86

At Banker’s Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, IU suffered its first loss of the season after Butler hit several long jump shots in overtime to put the Bulldogs ahead for good. It took a 3-pointer by freshman guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell with six seconds left in regulation just to get the Hoosiers to overtime. Despite a size advantage, IU was outmuscled almost the entire game and trailed in rebounding for the duration of the contest. Junior guard Victor Oladipo and sophomore forward Cody Zeller led IU with 18 points each in the losing effort.

Dec. 28: No. 5 Indiana 93, Jacksonville 59

In his final nonconference game at IU, senior guard Jordan Hulls hit 6-of-9 field goal attempts, all from 3-point range, on his way to a team-leading 20 points in IU’s final tuneup before Big Ten play. Ferrell hit double figures in assists for the first time at IU with 10 as five Hoosiers, led by Hulls, scored 11 or more points. Following the game, teammates credited Ferrell for his facilitation skills despite his lack of height and experience.

Dec. 21: No. 6 Indiana 88, Florida Atlantic 52

Zeller posted a season-high 24 points through a variety of shots and improved free throw shooting as the Hoosiers trounced the Owls in their final game before a short Christmas break. IU turned in its fourth-best single game performance ever from the foul line, missing only one of 27 attempts. Freshman center Peter Jurkin made his season debut while freshman forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea, in just his third game for IU, led the team in rebounds with 10 in only 14 minutes of play.

Dec. 19: No. 6 Indiana 93, Mount St. Mary’s 54

IU dominated the boards by a 41-18 margin against an undersized and outmatched Mount St. Mary’s squad. Five Hoosiers reached double figures with each sinking more than half of their shots from the field. The team shot 70.6 percent on field goal attempts, the fourth-best single game mark in program history. The game also marked the season debut of senior forward Derek Elston, who missed IU’s first 10 games recovering from a torn meniscus.

Dec. 31: No. 5 Indiana 69, Iowa 65

IU came out victorious in its Big Ten opener on the road. The Hoosiers salted the game away late as the contest became a battle of free throws. Early on, neither team shot well. Most IU players broke out of the slump, but not Hulls. Days after leading his team against Jacksonville, Hulls missed all 10 of his attempts from the field against the Hawkeyes, leaving his teammates, such as Zeller who led IU with 19 points, to pick up the slack.