Simon & Schuster, Author Solutions form new self-publisher

The Bloomington-based self-publisher, Author Solutions, Inc. recently collaborated with publisher titans Simon & Schuster to create Archway Publishing, a self-publishing service for aspiring authors.

After 14 years of trying to boost the self-publishing business, ASI is taking its work “to the next level” through a partnership with a larger company, ASI CEO Kevin Weiss said.

“If people want to publish their book, they should be able to publish their book,” Weiss said. “There’s been an explosion of self-expression.”

Archway Publishing will assist writers by consulting with them to determine what publishing method best fits their needs. The writers then select a package: fiction, nonfiction, children’s or business. Archway walks them through the process, providing editorial, design and distribution and marketing services.

Weiss said self-publishing has grown immensely throughout the years, with nearly 220,000 books self-published in 2011. He compared the increase of self-publishing with similar rises in the independent music and film industries. It was only a matter of time before independent books made their mark, he said.

Adam Rothberg, senior vice president of corporate communications for Simon & Schuster, said this dramatic increase is why Simon & Schuster opted to partner up and create Archway Publishing.

“Self-publishing is a rapidly growing segment of the publishing business,” Rothberg said. “It’s something we needed to understand and be a part of.”

Weiss said ASI has driven the surge in self-publishing across the nation. He has high hopes for Archway Publishing, he said.

“The initial interest is amazing,” Weiss said. “I think there’s enormous opportunity here.”