Hoosiers excited for freshmen debut

Since the evening of Nov. 6, many Hoosier basketball fans have had this Saturday’s game with Butler circled on their calendars. That night, news broke that freshmen center Peter Jurkin and forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea would have to serve nine-game suspensions handed down from the NCAA for recruiting violations.

The NCAA upheld the suspensions after IU submitted an appeal, and so the players sat on the bench waiting for their college debut in the cream and crimson.

And after IU has started its season 9-0, that day is finally here, as the Hoosiers take on the Bulldogs Saturday at 2 p.m. at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in the Boston Scientific Close the Gap Crossroads Classic.

Associate Head Coach Steve McClain said that after playing the first nine games of the season without two of their incoming freshman, the team is ready for a new feel when Jurkin and Mosquera-Perea are on the floor.

“Peter brings a length and a shot-blocker, and Hanner brings a shot-blocker who can also step out on the perimeter and guard a perimeter player and bring that length to the perimeter for you also,” McClain said. “They’re both kids who can rebound at a high level on both ends of the court and are both very skilled, so they bring a lot.”

And this length and depth couldn’t come at a better time for the Hoosiers. Last Saturday, sophomore forward Austin Etherington suffered a fractured left kneecap in IU’s game against Central Connecticut State, and he underwent season-ending knee surgery Sunday.

McClain also said that the team is still about one week away from seeing the return of senior forward Derek Elston, who is yet to play this season after tearing his left meniscus in the preseason.

But with nine games under the belts of the rest of the team, McClain said it will take some time for both the freshmen and the coaches to get a feel of how best to work both players into the rhythm that the rest of the team has created thus far this season.

“I think it’ll just be a game feel,” McClain said. “Coach has it in his mind of how they can be used, but a lot of guys get to have their first game be Coppin State, not Butler, so I think it’ll be a game feel.”