Elephant Quiz plays at the Bluebird Thursday

Local rock band Elephant Quiz will play at 8 p.m. today at the Bluebird. Marshall Robbins and The Phunk Nastys will open the show. Concert-goers 21 and up can see the bands in action.

Elephant Quiz, consisting of lead singer Andrew Pickel, guitarists Kevin Hennifeld and Zach Frasier and drummer Dan Wood, started playing while attending Bloomington North High School. They have been together ever since.

Pickel said the group got their start playing small clubs in the area, like Rhino’s All-Ages Music Club.

“At the end of high school, we started playing house parties and bars and developing a following,” he said. “We used to be more hip-hop based, but now we’ve developed a jam band style.”

The band draws influences from a number of different artists, from Red Hot Chili Peppers to The Doors to OutKast.

Pickel described their sound as “raw and emotional.”

“It has some cultural context and liquidity at times, and it morphs and changes while we go through different sounds,” he said. “We try to take people on a musical journey and play our songs differently as often as possible.”

The band’s only album, “The Weirdest Room,” includes songs the band has been playing for years as well as recent tracks.

Pickel said the band has played at the Bluebird prior to their show tonight, and they look forward to having a good time with the crowd.

“We have a lot of lights, and we like to play with the visual side of things,” he said. “Our shows feature a lot of jamming and improv and a lot of crazy energy. We like to have fun and interact with the crowd.”

The band’s music can be heard on reverbnation.com/elephantquiz or by contacting elephantquizmgmt@gmail.com.