Column: Brain food for finals week

Wallowing around the Herman B Wells Library and often fighting the fatigue with a large coffee, we enter a fast food phase that becomes not so nurturing.

I always like to have something to snack on while cramming for those final papers, projects and presentations.

You’ve heard it before, and you should hear it again — you are what you eat.

Especially during the finals crunch, what you choose to munch on can have a great influence on how you feel, think and even retain information.

With 10-30 percent of our grades on the line, finals are a time where we need whatever tricks we can get.

Brain foods that boost our function on test days are one way to make the high test scores you want one step closer.

Finish the semester by conjuring up some brain-boosting delicacies.

Happy finals.

Green Tea

There is a reason why this powerful Asian remedy dating back thousands of years has been used to heal and treat different symptoms and regulate the body.

Green tea is known to have a positive effect on the heart and digestive system and regulate metabolism.

It contains a key ingredient, polyphenols, that protect the brain and act as a mood enhancer.

Enjoying a hot cup of green tea before a test will put you in a better mental state and is an effective measure in preventing self-doubt or worry during an exam.

Dark Chocolate

Who knew that our favorite South American find, the cocoa bean, would be a beneficial booster during test week?

High in antioxidants and an efficient source of caffeine, dark chocolate protects the body from cell damage and can improve blood circulation and lower blood pressure.

In a stressful test environment, the natural caffeine stimulant can keep you focused and concentrated when you sit down to take the test.

While too much caffeine might make you shaky and sick, a piece of dark chocolate is a natural source of energy that will have you feeling mighty fine.

Berries

A personal favorite, açaí berries are considered one of the best brain foods around.
Found in South America, açaí palms have been called “trees of life.”

These berries enhance cognitive abilities to keep you alive, awake and alert with their high dose of Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and source of protein.

Try an açaí berry shake in the morning to have you ready to rock for the rest of the day.

Gum

Popping in a piece of gum before a test may not be a bad idea.

One scientific study found that chewing gum before a test improved scores.

Chewing gum helps circulate blood to the head and may improve memory recall.

Pop in a piece of peppermint gum, another ingredient proven to help with test performance, and enhance your brain function.

Just remember to chew with your mouth closed.

Eggs

Whether you like them sunny-side up to meet an 8 a.m. deadline or scrambled with a piece of whole-grain toast, eggs are a super food that is sure to enhance your productivity.

Choline, a vitamin-like nutrient, has been found to improve memory and help with information recall during a test.

During the days leading up to your test, prepare a few eggs and mix in some leafy greens and veggies for a delicious omelet.

Experiment with different recipes and combinations, and you might even be able to solve the chicken or egg origin question after a few daily doses.

­— espitzer@indiana.edu