national

Obama doesn't care about gays

President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney have practically identical opinions about the “civil rights” issue of gay marriage.

Romney, of course, is openly against it. Obama, who has only been in favor of gay marriage for a few months, last Friday told a reporter at MTV that it’s the responsibility of future Americans and not his responsibility to make progress on gay rights.

Obama said, “For us to try to legislate federally into this area is probably the wrong way to go,” a statement of conservatism from a man who pushed through Congress a bill that gave a federal bureaucracy control of one sixth of the entire U.S.
economy.

Perhaps, you might suggest, Obama believes the solution to the gay marriage issue lies with the executive branch. This, of course, is wishful thinking. Why hasn’t a president who has issued more than 100 executive orders issued one forcing all states to recognize the legitimacy of same sex marriages, like the executive order he issued granting immunity to young illegal immigrants in June?

Why hasn’t he sued states that don’t allow gay marriage as he sued Ohio for permitting military people extra voting time?

Perhaps Obama thinks the courts should decide, but surely he doesn’t think Chief Justice John Roberts court will rule for gay marriage.

With federal avenues closed, Obama relegates gay marriage to the states, as a way of saying, “I do not care about this issue. It’s not my problem.”

This state-by-state remedy has been in action since 1998, when Alaska amended its constitution to define marriage between a man and a woman. There are 29 other states who have since amended their constitutions to prohibit in some way the legal recognition of same-sex couples.  Only six states and Washington, D.C., allow gay couples to marry.

If Obama thinks the way to legalize gay marriage is through the states, he is supremely dumb.

So please, gays, stop claiming your “very personhood” and your “dignity as a citizen of this country” will be diminished if Obama is not reelected, as Doug Wright does in his viral Facebook message.

It simply is not true that people who will vote for Romney and GOP candidates believe their “taxes and take-home pay mean more than your fundamental civil rights” or they support “anti-gay legislation and cultural homophobia.”

As much as you’d like to think of this election as a pivotal one in terms of gay rights, recognize that Obama, like Romney, has no plans to make gay marriage a reality.
Stop making the rest of us feel guilty for voting for the only candidate with a plan to make our country strong again.

­— arcarlis@indiana.edu