Mourdock voices concerns after loss

ciMourdock

INDIANAPOLIS — His 634 days of campaigning will not move forward to another day.
Indiana State Treasurer Richard Mourdock lost to U.S. Sen.-elect Joe Donnelly in the U.S. Senate race Tuesday.

“It has been an experience that I will never, ever forget,” Mourdock said to GOP supporters at the Indiana Republican election night party at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis during his concession speech.

Setting personal disappointment aside, Mourdock said his concern for the nation grows greater as Indiana, which has lived within its means and made hard decisions, is now “supportive of that group in Washington that looks to constantly kick the can down the road, add more debt and weaken us in vital policies.”

This is against basic strong traditions as Hoosiers, Mourdock said.

“We are compassionate people, we look out for one another, we care about the next generation,” he said.

Wearing red, white and blue glitter top hats and Republican red Mourdock T-shirts, Estel and Carolyn Rhoton traveled to the election night party from Lebanon, Ind., to be part of the hopeful Mourdock victory after more than a year and a half of campaigning.

Prior to 2012, they were never involved in politics. But the Affordable Care Act has changed that. The lack of a federal budget also led to their involvement, they said.

“There is $16 trillion in debt, and we got grandchildren now,” Estel said. “We aren’t going to leave them with that debt.”

Following Donnelly’s victory, Estel said he is skeptical of Donnelly going to Washington, D.C., and being a senator who looks out for families. Donnelly previously served in the U.S. House.

“He has been there for six years, and he has voted 98 percent of the time with (President Barack) Obama,” he said. “He has had no common sense yet with the highest budget deficit yet.”

Half of the Rhoton family is currently unemployed, and they looked to Mourdock to help change that.

“It is really depressing when employers are afraid to hire,” Estel said. “I am an employer, and I am afraid to hire.”

Carolyn said voter turnout would most directly impact the results of the senatorial election.

Many supporters of Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., might not support Mourdock because they are sour after the Republican primary defeat, she said.

Dee Wools has volunteered for Mourdock for the last 18 months. She was a leader of the Tea Party rally in Kokomo in June, and her son created the Mourdock campaign website.

Wools wanted to ensure there was only one Republican-focused election and Lugar was not re-elected.

“He has been in the Senate for 37 years, and he voted with the Democrats many times,” Wools said. “He moved too far left. When you are in Washington too long, you are in Washington too long.”

Mourdock is a man of God, fiscally conservative and supports the Constitution, said Wools, who supports these stances because they align with those of the Tea Party Movement.

“He knows the Constitution inside and out,” she said. “He has not waivered and has stayed pro-life and supporting traditional marriage and stands for family. In debates, he has stayed firm to those topics and didn’t dance around or make excuses.”

Jeff Linder, IU associate vice president for public affairs and government relations and former state representative, said the senators and representative are supportive of the University.

“The senators and representatives support us, and IU supports the state,” Linder said. “We like good people to get elected regardless of what party.”

Supporters stood in the end zone showing support for Mourdock.

They rose, cheered and screamed when Mourdock addressed being attacked for standing by his principles.

His comment in the final senatorial debate that pregnancy by rape is “something that God intended” received widespread national attention.

Roger Bainbridge, Mourdock volunteer and Grant County auditor, said, in his opinion, the majority of people believe God lets some bad things happen for reasons we don’t know.

“He is of the sense that God is in control,” Bainbridge said. “This view is more in line with the typical American voter.”

Mourdock took the stage, his voice cracking, eyes reddening.

“As I will look back on this night over the weeks, months and years ahead, I will look back knowing that I was attacked for standing for my principles for coming into this public process with the idea that you ought to put forth something to offer the public so they can make their decision,” Mourdock said.

“I always tried to stand for conservative values. I stood and stand for the rule of law of the Constitution of the United States. I stand that all life is precious in the eyes of God. Let us continue to move this party forward. We are the party of purpose.”