‘Grinch’ to kick off 2012 tour

In the vacant lobby of the IU Auditorium, Stefan Karl and Seth Bazacas relaxed on a leather couch surrounded by scattered holiday decorations.

The main leads of the upcoming performance “How the Grinch Stole Christmas: the Musical,” surrounded by the various branches of a disassembled Christmas tree, were a reminder of the approaching holiday season.

Cast members arrived about a week ago in preparation for their upcoming performances at 7 p.m. today and Friday. 

Karl, who plays the Grinch, has portrayed this character for five years and about 300 shows.

He explained the storyline comes from Dr. Seuss.

“This musical is completely based on the book,” he said.

Karl, who is a fan of physical comedy in acting, said his character uses cartoonish movements.

Despite the Grinch’s whimsical background, Karl said he believes the character has something in common with every member of the audience.

“The Grinch is all of us,” Karl said. “We all love Christmas. The Grinch loves Christmas, too.”

There is a true longing for companionship within the furry green character, Karl said.
Bazacas plays Max, the Grinch’s dog.

He said the young dog embodies the child-like joy that leads to the Christmas atmosphere needed for the musical. 

“I do get to represent that little piece of the holidays and Christmas that is just so pure and true,” Bazacas said.

Audience members should anticipate walking into a life-like version of the Dr. Seuss tale. 

The large black, white and red props will create an atmosphere similar to walking into an extremely large pop-up book.

“The designers literally created the banners and the props and the crooked houses to look like the book,” Bazacas said. “Even the color palette is the same.”

Bazacas said the audience should be excited for a show loaded with high energy and fun for all ages.

“You can expect to leave with a smile and warm fuzzy (feeling),” he said. “And a sore stomach from laughing.”