Gregg makes emotional concession

ciGregg

INDIANAPOLIS — His handlebar mustache scrunched as he began to address the sea of supporters standing below him.

By the shouts sounded, the tears wept and the cheers emitted, the supporters made it clear — this was Democratic gubernatorial candidate John Gregg’s night.

Chatter erupted as a mustache illustration stretched across an overhead projection screen above the stage.

“Indiana is making a huge mistake,” a woman said from the crowd. “They’re going to pay for it.”

Victory or not, Gregg took the stage.

“My name is John Gregg, I have two first names and I almost became governor of Indiana,” he said with a smile on his face.

The crowed grew quiet.

“I’m sorry to all of those we failed,” Gregg said.

The crowd interjected.

“No! Stop! We love you,” many reassured him.

Gregg bowed his head and stared into the lector.

“But the sun will come up tomorrow,” Gregg said. “We are truly all in it together.”

Gregg’s two sons, John and Hunter, stood behind their father as he made his concession speech, teary eyed as they watched their father conclude his speech.

“I’ve always believed life’s a journey, and there’s been a lot of joy in this journey,” he said.

His two boys wiped their eyes.

***

Before the concession, handlebar mustaches stuck out on pins and caps as Gregg supporters walked in and out of the ballroom where an empty stage would soon welcome the candidate — hopefully, the governor-elect.

Supporters and associates gathered Tuesday inside the second-floor ballroom at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown in hopes of celebrating a “blue” victory.

Gregg’s parents, Don and June, stood at the back of the room as supporters scrambled between the open bar and appetizers. Don held June close in a single-arm embrace.

In more than one way, this night was reminiscent of their son’s upbringing, June said.
As John grew up, Don said, a run for governor was always in the playing cards, his parents agreed.

Prior to the announcement and regardless of the stacked odds, June remained adamant that her son, who she said has always had a passion for politics, would emerge victorious.

“It’s quite an experience,” She said. “He’s going to win. We’re behind him 100 percent. If he doesn’t win, it won’t cost his life anything undone.”

***

The most recent polls leading into the election projected Gov.-elect Mike Pence as the winner.

As time drew on, the continuous results made it clear this was not going to be a quick race.

By 8:40 p.m., Gregg trailed Pence by a mere 2 percentage points with 35 percent of all precincts reporting.

About an hour later, Pence’s lead became more definitive and led Gregg by about 6 percent. At this point, 63 percent of precincts had reported.

By 10:50 p.m., Pence was officially declared the winner with the majority at 49.6 percent with 93 percent of precincts reporting. Gregg received 46.4 percent of the votes.

Before Gregg could walk onto the stage, his running mate, Ind. Sen. Vi Simpson, D-Ellettsville, prefaced his appearance with a humbling introduction.

“I wouldn’t be here tonight without the faith and friendship of John Gregg,” she said.

Then, a Betty White reference.

“Politics ain’t no place for sissies.”