Former city official posts bond

A former Bloomington city official facing felony theft charges turned himself in at the Monroe County Correctional Center after a warrant for his arrest was issued last week.

Former Director of Street Operations Derek Neff, 38, turned himself in at about 6:30 p.m. Friday and was later released after posting a $5,000 surety and $8,300 cash bond, according to jail officials.

Neff is also facing a felony charge of official misconduct.

As a public servant, he committed offenses while performing official duties, according to a probable cause affidavit.

In addition to the official misconduct charge, Neff faces seven counts of felony theft.

The Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office is attempting to present evidence in the case in a more chronological fashion.

Neff reportedly made more than $8,000 from scrapping metal and other materials belonging to the city at a local scrap metal recycling company.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Neff reportedly committed the offenses between March 14 and Oct. 3 of this year.

A total of 19 transactions were recorded in logs maintained by JB Salvage, 1803 W. Vernal Pike. Neff was the recipient of all payments, totaling $8,296.55.

In order to appropriately charge Neff, the 52,770 pounds of scrapped aluminum, tin, steel and iron has been divvied up by month, going as far back as July of this year, as opposed to each time a transaction was made.

Chief Deputy Prosecutor Bob Miller said this is in an effort to make the evidence easier to present to a potential jury.

“It’s more chronological than episodic,” he said.

Neff was questioned by investigators in late October. In the interview, Neff told Bloomington police the money gained from scrapping the metal items belonging to the city was used to establish credit with various city vendors.

He reportedly failed to produce any documentation to corroborate his claim.