James, Goldstein to perform 'Faust' accompaniment at IU Auditorium

Drama and electronica music will become one on Friday night. 

Jacobs School of Music alumnus Dennis James and freelance percussionist Mark Goldstein will match electronic instruments to the 1926 silent film “Faust” 7:30 p.m. Friday at the IU Auditorium.

Representing the “light and goodness” of the angel, James will play the organ and the theremin, an eerie-sounding instrument popular in soundtracks for 1950s and 1960s sci-fi movies.

Goldstein will play the Bulcha Lightning Wands, an electronic musical device. 

“I’m the nasty-down-and-dirty devil who is trying to steal souls,” Goldstein said.

As in previous years, Bloomington station 96.7 FM will partner with the auditorium for a Halloween costume contest live on stage before the performance.

Known as the Filmharmonia duo, James and Goldstein have performed together for about 20 years. They met through mutual friend Karen Bentley, a professional
violinist.

In 1998, the two first performed to “Faust,” which was directed by F.W. Murnau, at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco. 

James, who was one of the first students at the Jacobs School of Music to experiment with electronic music, said he became more intrigued when he heard Goldstein played the moog synthesizer, an electronic music device.

“I immediately went to his home for a demo, and then I immediately conceived of how I could integrate electronic music with my film music that I had been doing with the organ, and we’ve been touring ever since,” James said.

The organization Filmharmonia, a twist on the concept for a philharmonic orchestra, allows James to work with freelance musicians to silent films.

Bloomington is one of four cities the duo will tour to perform to the movie “Faust.”

James has been performing for Halloween at the auditorium nearly every year since 1969, just three years before he graduated with his bachelor’s degree from the music school.

He said the auditorium, particularly director Doug Booher, had been “pestering” him to play the electronic music to “Faust” rather than just playing the organ. 

“We’ve had such a tradition of doing organ solo and presenting this sort of IU personality for all these years that this departure, I think, was a little bit much for him to consider,” James said.

Booher said in an email that he hasn’t had the chance to see James and Goldstein play together.

“Enhancing this great IU Halloween tradition by showing a new title and including additional instruments will definitely make it a night to remember,” he said.