sports cross-country

IU teams finish in top 3 at Rim Rock Farm Classic

FROM IDS REPORTS

The Indiana Hoosier men’s and women’s cross country teams placed second and third this weekend, respectively, against their first real competition this season in the Rim Rock Farm Classic in Lawrence, Kan.

Senior Zach Mayhew led the way for the men’s team, placing second overall in the men’s race with an 8K time of 23:11.90.

Andy Bayer followed shortly behind in third place with a time of 23:26.00.

Rounding out the top five for the Hoosiers were junior Robby Nierman, graduate student Adam Behnke and freshman Matthew Schwartzer.

The men’s team finished nine points behind winners and hosts of the Classic, Kansas. The team’s five best runners all finished within the top 10. Air Force came in third place.

As for the women, freshman Caitlin Engel paced her way as the first Hoosier to cross the line in 14th overall, with a time of 21:12.10 for the 6K course.

Sophomore Kelsey Duerkson finished four seconds behind Engel with a time of 21:16.60 and was followed by senior Arianne Raby, graduate student Molly Hirt and junior Erica Ridderman, who came in 19th, 25th and 27th, respectively.

The women’s team put up 99 points but fell to No. 11 Michigan and No. 22 Toledo, which came in first and second place, respectively.

Both Hoosier teams’ next race will be in a few weeks as the teams will decide who runs in a split bill weekend.

On Oct 12, some of the team will attend the adidas Invitational in Madison, Wis., while others will travel to Louisville, Ky., on Oct. 13 to run in the Pre-Nationals Race.

— Brian Walsh