Indiana's gubernatorial joke

One word could sum up the Indiana gubernatorial debate last Wednesday in Zionsville, Ind.

Predictable.

Honestly, it was a bit comedic. Consider the tropes: The primped Republican with the comfortable lead who spouts buzzwords and colorful anecdotes. The down-home Democrat far behind in the polls who screams about his history of bipartisanship and job creation. The token Libertarian who is constantly skipped.

It was like a skit on Saturday Night Live.

With a hefty lead in virtually every poll conducted so far, Rep. Mike Pence, R-6th District, really didn’t have to do much at this debate other than show up.

In fact, on multiple occasions, Pence couldn’t even be bothered to present his own facts and plans. Instead, he encouraged viewers to research them in his online “Roadmap for Indiana.” He frequently used his opponents’ answers as his own.

When you have a double-digit lead, you have the luxury of co-opting your oppositions’ stances.

In contrast, Democratic gubernatorial candidate John Gregg — the guy with the mustache — needed to do quite a bit more.

Gregg was on the offensive throughout the debate, casting himself as a local Democrat with experience in creating jobs and bipartisan consensus. He presented his opponent as a radical who can’t reach across the aisle and wasn’t willing to save auto industry jobs.

Rupert Boneham, the Libertarian candidate of “Survivor” fame, faced an uphill battle. With single-digit polling, his candidacy won’t be much more than a token.

Moderator Dennis Ryerson seemed to know it. He skipped Boneham on multiple occasions, forcing the candidate to contend not only with his opponents but also with a moderator who seemed unable to follow his own rules.

Boneham’s response, “That’s what happens to a third party,” pretty thoroughly summarized his debate experience.

What can Indiana voters take away from this highly entertaining but politically vapid experience?

Mainly what we already knew.

Pence is in a strong position to claim the governor’s office in November. Third party candidates still face the flack they’ve been dealing with for years.

And if you’re hankering to see some beautiful facial hair in the governor’s chair, you’ll probably have to wait at least four more years.

­— drlreed@indiana.edu