sports field hockey

Hoosiers go 1-1 in 1st back-to-back games of season

The IU field hockey team endured its first back-to-back set of games this weekend, facing the No. 9 Northwestern Wildcats on Friday and the Central Michigan Chippewas on Saturday.

In Friday’s game, the Hoosiers were shut out by the Wildcats and lost 4-0.

IU Coach Amy Robertson said her team made a few mistakes, but thought overall they played a solid game.

“Our structure and defensive organization were good, but the breakdowns we had, Northwestern was really skillful and able to capitalize,” she said. “We didn’t actually play that bad of a game. We just couldn’t get any of our attack going.”

The Wildcats scored first in the 23rd minute and never looked back. They scored their second goal eight minutes later and notched two late goals in the second half.

The Hoosiers had a few scoring opportunities but failed to find the back of
the net.

Freshmen forward Rachel Stauffer said her team fought hard against Northwestern, but she thought the loss was a case of bad luck.

“I think we came out strong against Northwestern,” she said. “We just couldn’t finish. We stayed in it the whole game and didn’t quit. We just got unlucky.”

Stauffer noted the coaching staff was very encouraging after the loss, and she elaborated on the message to the team after the loss heading into the Central Michigan game.

“The coaches were really positive, as they always are,” she said. “They told us each game is an opportunity, and we have to come out strong, do our best and take advantage of the opportunities that we have.”

On Saturday, IU endured the second game of the back-to-back against Central Michigan. The Hoosiers were down 1-0 before Stauffer retaliated with a goal, tying the game.

The Chippewas scored again before the half ended and went into halftime with a 2-1 lead.

Although her team trailed at halftime, junior forward Mariella Grote said she never felt the outcome was in question, and she said it was more of a waiting game.

“We never felt in doubt,” she said. “We just needed to trust and have confidence in each other. We all knew it was going to happen. We just had to wait it out for the right time.”

The Hoosiers took the field in the second half, scoring three unanswered goals and ultimately leaving with a 4-2 victory.

Grote said it was a big boost to come back and win the game after trailing. She also said her team didn’t want to just win the game. They wanted to keep scoring.

“When we are down, it can be difficult to get us back in it, but when we are back in it, we don’t let up,” she said. “We knew once it was 3-2 that wasn’t the end of our goal scoring. We wanted to push it.”