Homecoming matchups of IU's past 4 seasons

2008– Hoosiers force late fumble to secure Homecoming win
The IU defense recovered three fumbles and two interceptions en route to a 21-19 victory against Northwestern in Memorial Stadium, snapping a five-game losing streak.

After both teams traded scores during the first half, the Hoosiers used a trick play as senior running back Marcus Thigpen handed off to then-sophomore wide receiver Mitchell Evans, who threw a touchdown to then-freshman wide receiver Tandon Doss.

Later during the half, with fewer than two minutes left and Northwestern with the ball, IU forced two fumbles from quarterback Mike Kafka, recovering the second and sealing the victory.

“It was a great team win for us. I thought the defense hung in there all day, and they got some turnovers, and that was something we talked so much about. When we were struggling, we were turning it over and not creating any turnovers, and that was the difference in the game today was the turnovers. The defense did a great job in forcing fumbles and getting interceptions. The offense didn’t turn it over, and that was huge,” former IU Coach Bill Lynch said.

2009– Indiana ends losing streak in win against Illinois
Junior quarterback Ben Chappell set two career highs with 333 passing yards and three touchdowns, and IU defeated Illinois 27-14 to end the Hoosiers’ three-game losing streak, as well as their five-game losing streak in the Big Ten.

Chappell capitalized on two fumbles from Illinois’ Isiah “Juice” Williams into second-half touchdowns to help lead the Hoosiers to the Homecoming victory.

“Well, that was obviously a great win for our football team and one that we needed. I was really proud of how they bounced back from a tough couple of weeks. Those of you that have been around know that we challenged them pretty good on Monday, and they really responded, and I think that’s a real credit to the leadership of the kids and the entire football team,” Lynch said.

2010– Hoosiers hold off Arkansas State to stop losing streak
As the IU football team and Arkansas State traded scores in Memorial Stadium, the Hoosiers appeared to be near their third loss in a row, which would allow the Red Wolves to secure their second-ever win against a BCS school.

But with 47 seconds left, Arkansas State attempted an onside kick that trickled out of bounds, allowing the Hoosiers to run out the clock and ensure a 36-34 victory.

“It was a good win for our football team. I say that, and I wish it didn’t get quite as crazy at the end, but we knew going into this game that this was a good football team that we were playing,” Lynch said.

2011– 7 freshmen on defense can’t stop wildcat attack
IU Coach Kevin Wilson, in hopes of jumpstarting his team, started seven freshmen on defense, the most of any Football Bowl Subdivision team at that point in the 2011 season. Yet even they couldn’t stop the Northwestern offense, which scored nearly 60 points in a 59-38 victory against the Hoosiers in Memorial Stadium.

The Hoosiers began the game with a rushing touchdown from then-freshman quarterback Tre Roberson, but the Wildcats scored 24-straight points after just more than 15 minutes of gametime, and Indiana wasn’t able to mount a comeback from there.

“There might be some matchups, but at the same time, you’ve got to challenge guys. We could play soft and vanilla, bend but not break. I think sometimes we actually play it a little too base and a little too standup where they get targets on us. I would like to see us be a lot more multiple than we are because I think with our skill set, if we kind of line up and people get a beat on us, it’s a little easier to pick apart, but with young guys, the more you do the more mistakes you have,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said.