Holocaust survivor forgives, educates

Eva Kor

For her, forgiveness is healing. 

Holocaust survivor Eva Kor has forgiven.

She was 10 years old when she arrived at Auschwitz-Birkneau with her family — her parents, two older sisters and twin sister, Miriam.

Kor told her story Tuesday at IU’s Helene G. Simon Hillel Center. She also spoke at the Kelley School of Business about “From Auschwitz to Forgiveness.”

In 1944, the concentration camp’s selection platform was the beginning of the end. That was the last time she saw her family. Except for Miriam, her whole family was taken away from her on those train tracks.

They became part of about 1,500 sets of twins who were used as human guinea pigs in Josef Mengele’s genetic experiments.

“The first time I went to use the latrine located at the end of the children’s barrack, I was greeted by the scattered corpses of several children lying on the ground,” Eva Kor said on a Holocaust remembrance website. “I think that image will stay with me forever. It was there that I made a silent pledge, a vow to make sure that Miriam and I didn’t end up on that filthy floor.”

Because of the abuse, many died. Eva and Miriam survived. On Jan. 27, 1945, they were liberated.

“I say to everybody, ‘How on Earth did the survivors survive?’” Kor said. “Life was very difficult. We were always hungry in spite of the Nazis and the miserable conditions of Auschwitz, in spite of Mengele, over a million people went through Auschwitz and survived. How was that possible?”

For Kor, it was the human spirit.

“It told me just to live one more day, just don’t give up,” she said. “I had to have a little luck.”

While there was nothing after the Holocaust Mengele could have done to change what happened, Kor said forgiveness is a lot more than letting go.

“We are made with will and desire to live,” she said. “As long as our life is in danger, we can’t rise to the level of understanding. We will do insurmountable things to
survive.”

Kor said she is not going to let his actions or violence against her define who she is.
“You are off my mind and I am done with you,” she said.

Menegle’s actions were wrong, but Kor said she is not going to deal with him.

“I deserve to be free,” she said. “You have to remember in order to forgive.”
***
Miriam died in 1993. Losing her was a big ache for Eva. Through all the hardships and pain, she wanted to do something in memory of and to honor Miriam.

In 1995, Eva founded the Children of Auschwitz Nazi Deadly Lab Experiments Survivors Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Terre Haute.

“This way she is always there,” Kor said.

CANDLES museum’s primary purpose is to educate.

“I love it,” Kor said. “I don’t want them leaving the museum ever crying. I want them to leave the museum with a smile on their face and hope in their heart. Why shouldn’t we have hope? We can overcome unbelievable things.”

On Nov. 18, 2003, Kor received a call from police that the museum was destroyed by an arsonist.

As she watched the building and her work go up in flames, Kor said to a reporter that night that she had had worst days.

“I will not let them lower me to an angry point,” she said Tuesday, recalling the night of the incident. “I am very sad. I hope I will be able to forgive.”

With the help of local and national supporters, CANDLES reopened in April 2005.
“Whoever wanted to destroy the museum couldn’t destroy the message,” Kor said. “I don’t let anger take hold of me.”
***
Kor believes in the power of forgiveness and has since lived her life peacefully.
“I lost my own family,” she said. “I forgive them because how can anyone deal with that loss.”

The only power Kor had left was to use forgiveness to frame her moving forward.
Letting go is not enough as those survivors aren’t free yet, Kor said.

“I talk to them and they break down crying and pretend it didn’t happen,” she said. “You can’t pretend something that affected your life that deeply didn’t happen.”

Kor continues to educate and empower others through her path to peace. She returns to Auschwitz-Birkneau every summer with CANDLES to educate students, professors and religious leaders.

“I feel very powerful,” she said laughing. “I am shrinking in size but I am powerful.”

Holocaust remembrance week events

“Ball Bearings + Coin/Stamp Collecting + The Holocaust= Stories of Realities for Students entering a Family Business”
Danny Spungen, collector and philatelist

6 p.m. today, Kelley Living Learning Center, McNutt Quad room 208
“The Nazi Scourge: Holocaust — A Breakdown in Humanity”

8 p.m. today, IU’s Helene G. Simon Hillel Center, 730 E. Third Street
The Spungen Holocaust Postal Collection
9 a.m. to 9 p.m., today
Hillel