A beautiful distraction

A beautiful distraction

Night can be a magical time full of intoxication, vomit, and drunken fornication. But for senior Mallory Kirby, it’s a time of peace and solitude when she can finally withdraw into her art room and pour over a painting while Jimmy Eat World and Explosions in the Sky blare from her laptop. “It started because I was in a bad place in my life, and my art was a way for me to keep myself entertained and happy,” Kirby says. “Now it’s become a huge part of who I am, and it means a lot to me.”

Kirby typically begins her work when most are going to bed, between midnight and 5 a.m.  “I do most of my work at night because that’s the time that’s hardest for me,” she says. “When I spend time painting, it helps me from falling back into depression.

Sometimes I’ll stay up all night because I’m working on a project.” Kirby likes to create night-themed art because the darkness inspires her. “I love that you can create beauty no matter what your state of mind is,” she says. “Even when you’re depressed or in darkness, art can bring you happiness.”

How To: Light-Up Night Sky Canvas

Materials

• Classic Collection Artist Canvas, 22 inches by 28 inches ($17.99, Hobby Lobby)
  • Reeves acrylic paint set, 18 colors ($10.65, Amazon.com)
  • Artist’s Loft White Synthetic Acrylic Brush Set, 5 piece ($13.49, Michaels)
  • FolkArt Glow in the Dark Paint, 2 ounces ($3.09, Walmart)
  • Home Mini String Lights with White Wire, clear, 100 count ($6.99, Target)
Tip: When it comes to art supplies, the cheaper it costs, the cheaper the quality. But don’t buy the most expensive, especially if it’s just for fun. Get products with prices that fall in the middle.

Directions

1. Mix different shades of blue, black, and white paint.
    *Tip Acrylic paint is nice for layering and texturing because it can easily be painted over.
  2. Paint the background a solid dark color.
    *Tip Use a harder-bristled brush so the paint will go onto the canvas better.
  3. Mix different shades of yellow, white, and red, and fling it onto the canvas. Splatter on more color and use your fingers to create swirls.
    *Tip Experiment with lots of different shades. The more shades and hues you use, the better your project will look.
  4. Splatter on glow-in-the-dark paint. It will seem clear in the light. 
  5. For added effect, poke holes in the back of the canvas and put Christmas lights through them. Cover the wiring on the back. Then when it's lit, the whole painting will look like it's dotted with stars.

Kirby’s Tips for Creating Night-Themed Art

Use

Paint “People think they should use black to do night-themed paintings, but blue is the best color to experiment with. Dawn and dusk both have blue in the base, and you can get so many different shades when you mix it with other colors.”

Charcoal “Charcoal is great for shading things or creating really good highlights and outlines.”

Camera “Photography at night is really fun, especially when you have a good camera. You can manipulate the light to take some really cool shots.”

Don’t

Be afraid to try. "Never think you can’t do it. Anyone can be an artist; it’s just a matter of finding out what you’re good at.”

Do

“Play music in the background. It’ll help you think and release your creativity.”
“Work at night when there are no other distractions and nothing but your mind to occupy yourself.”