sports volleyball

IU tries to improve 0-2 conference record

The difference between this year’s volleyball team and last year’s, which went 1-18 in Big Ten play, is that this year’s team has the talent to compete more consistently, IU Coach Sherry Dunbar said.

“Last year it wasn’t there,” Dunbar said. “We didn’t have the personnel to play that high a level. I think we’re more determined to get the practice that we’re getting into game competition.”

After falling in their first two conference games of the year, IU (8-6 overall, 0-2 Big Ten) will look to recover this weekend against Illinois (7-5, 1-1) and Northwestern (11-2).

The Fighting Illini come into University Gym to play the Hoosiers at 7 p.m. Friday.

Illinois split its opening weekend action in the Big Ten, falling to Minnesota in straight sets and besting Wisconsin in five.

The Illini had a rocky start to their season, losing to Dayton and Pepperdine in their first two matches, both 3-0 sweeps.

After fighting the Illini, IU will turn around the next day to fight off the Wildcats. The Hoosiers will face Northwestern at 7 p.m. Saturday.

After racing out to a 11-0 start in nonconference play, the Wildcats dropped both of their Big Ten openers to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Indiana will have to contain junior outside hitter Stephanie Holthus, who leads the Wildcats with 4.31 kills per set and chips in 3.31 digs per set.

Northwestern has a consistent and healthy base, as eight players have played in all 48 sets of this season.

In comparison, only junior defensive specialist Caitlin Hansen and senior right-side hitter Kelci Marschall have played in every set for Indiana this season.

The major change last weekend for the Hoosiers was at the setter position, when senior setter Whitney Granado, after battling illness during non-conference play, took the reins back from freshman setter Katie Gallagher.

The team won’t know until after Thursday’s practice who the team’s setter will be for the weekend, Dunbar said.

Junior outside hitter Jordan Haverly said she does not have a preference either way who sets for the team, but she is more familiar with Granado after three years of practice with her.

“They are both really good setters,” Haverly said. “They both have their own styles ... I just think the experience that Whitney has and the experience we have with her just helps it run a little more smoothly. But, I mean, in time, Katie will have that, too.”