politics

Gregg, Pence kickstart final campaign efforts

Indiana’s gubernatorial race pits Sen. Mike Pence, R-6th District, and his running mate Sue Ellspermann, a former state representative and strategic marketing professional, against Democrat John Gregg, a former Vincennes University President, and his running mate Sen. Vi Simpson, D-Ellettsville.

With fewer than 50 days left before Indiana’s general election, the Pence and Gregg campaigns have stepped up fundraising efforts, advertising and policy announcements.

Marjorie Hershey, professor of political science at IU, said finances are one possible indicator of a campaign’s success but pointed out that big bucks and big wins don’t always go hand in hand.

“More money benefits a candidate because it can buy more ads, more get-out-the-vote materials and more paid staff. But if the campaign puts the money into ineffective advertising or staff, that doesn’t help,” Hershey said.

Finances

The Indiana Election Division in the office of the Secretary of State keeps track of campaign finance reports. Indiana’s third fundraising quarter ends Sept. 30. The last quarterly report was submitted July 16 and covered the period from April 1 to June 30.

Between July 1 and 15, candidates are required to report any contributions of more than $1,000 on a supplemental form. From July 15 to September 30, they report contributions of more than $10,000.

According to the Election Division’s 2012 Campaign Finance Manual, contributions include anything of value received by the campaign committee and can be made by individuals or organizations.

Gregg
At the end of the last reporting period, the Gregg campaign reported cash on hand and investments totaling $2,855,447.62.
Since then, the campaign has reported $45,500 in supplemental or large contributions from 14 individuals or groups.

Pence
At the end of the last reporting period, the Pence campaign reported cash on hand and investments totaling $5,545,535.09.
Since then, the campaign has reported $784,526 in supplemental or large contributions from 57 individuals or groups.

Advertising

Gregg
The Gregg campaign has released four TV advertisements, all set in his hometown of Sandborn, Ind. The most recent, called “Rainy Day,” features Gregg standing under an umbrella in Sandborn while his sons pour water on his head from above.
“This is our cheap special effects way of showing how Mike Pence wants to drain the rainy day fund,” Gregg tells viewers.

Pence
Pence has released eight television ads, highlighting policy proposals in areas such as job creation and education. In the latest, called “Mike’s Roadmap for Indiana,” Pence discusses his Roadmap plan for job growth.
“With the common sense and common values that make this state great, Indiana will be the state that works,” Pence tells viewers.

Policy

Gregg
Gregg has released policy proposals addressing jobs and the economy, taxes, infrastructure investment, women’s issues and “the next generation,” which includes proposals about early childhood education and reforming the Department of Child and Family Services.

Pence

Pence has released a six-point “Roadmap for Indiana” plan that focuses on increasing private sector employment, attracting new investment to Indiana, improving math and reading skills of elementary students, increasing graduation rates, improving the quality of the Hoosier workforce and improving the health, safety and well-being of Hoosier families, especially children.