sports field hockey

Field hockey splits weekend duo of matches

The IU field hockey team broke even after a two-game weekend.

After Friday’s 7-1 loss to No. 6 Penn State, the Hoosiers came from behind and defeated Lock Haven 2-1 on Sunday.

After the loss at Penn State, IU Coach Amy Robertson said that where her team is ranked is not high on the priority list.

“We don’t need to figure out what rank we are as a team,” she said. “We need to figure out how to get better every day.”

Penn State scored first and never looked back, scoring six additional goals before senior forward Morgan Fleetwood scored IU’s only goal in the 65th minute of play. Although her team lost by six goals, Robertson also talked to her team about how there is no degree to losing.

“I told the team it was a hard loss, but it was still a loss,” she said. “It doesn’t matter if it is 20-0 or 1-0, it is still a loss.”

Freshman forward Rachel Stauffer talked about how the team kept a positive mindset following the game.

“It wasn’t good coming off that loss, but we knew we couldn’t let it get us down,” she said. “Every game is the next big game, so we just have to come back and stay positive.”

Junior midfielder Emily Bowker said that because the loss happened in their first Big Ten match, they can use it to help them moving forward.

“I think it was better for it to happen early in the season than later,” she said. “We’re able to take it to our next Big Ten play.”

The Hoosiers didn’t have to wait long. On Sunday, they were back in action against Lock Haven. The Hoosiers were down 1-0 early in the second half, but they rallied to earn the 2-1 win. Junior forward Mariella Grote scored the game-tying goal off a deflection.

The end of regulation drew near, but in the 68th minute of play, Stauffer netted the game-winning goal. Stauffer’s goal was also the first of her career.

“Coming off the bench, I had to bring as much energy as I could,” Stauffer said. “Being a freshman, I have to prove myself, I was really doing it for my teammates and it was really exciting.”

Sunday’s game was the first time IU and Lock Haven have ever played against each other.

Although Robertson didn’t know what to expect, she admitted she thought her team was under a lot of pressure during the game.

“In games where you think you should be the team that wins and you find yourself down or you find yourself even, it increases the pressure you put on yourself,” she said. “In your mind, you have to win this game, and you don’t want to make a mistake.”

Bowker explained how she was happy with the win but that she expects their level of play to change.

“We’re happy that we got the W, but we aren’t content with it at all,” she said. “Everyone is ready to pick up the intensity level at practice to match Big Ten play, and we are all ready to take it up a level and get a little more physical.”