Sundays in Bryan Park

Sunday concerts offer local music, community

Bryan Park

Settled comfortably on a rolling hill in Bryan Park, Bloomington residents Jason and Kristina Simmonds waited patiently for Krista Detor’s summer concert to
begin.

“We’ve never been to a concert in Bryan Park before,” Kristina Simmonds said. “I’ve heard about them, just never done it.”

Starting in July, the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation organized free summer concerts in the park featuring local artists.

From 6:30 to 8 p.m. every Sunday until Aug. 26, the park will continue the shows.

“It’s always really fun,” Bloomington resident Joanna Butler said. “I also think it’s really funny because there are always guys playing basketball behind the stage. They even played behind the Bloomington Symphony Orchestra when they came.”

On Sunday, local musicians Michael White and Krista Detor brought a great mix of music to the stage.

White was a finalist in Musician Magazine’s Best Unsigned Band competition.

“It’s nice seeing you all out here,” White said. “And there is a bunch of you.”

The crowd applauded White as he began his first song about a boy falling in love with a giraffe.

“This is a song about relationships,” White said. “Boy meets giraffe, boy falls in love with giraffe, boy loses giraffe.”

White sang a few more songs before handing the microphone to Detor.

“I’m torn,” Detor said. “I want it to rain, I don’t want it to rain.”

People stayed in their seats to hear Detor, despite the ominous clouds hanging low on the horizon.

Detor has reached the No. 1 spot on the Euro-Americana chart, according to Fleming Artists’ website.

Her music has been featured on NPR, PBS, BBC and multiple other U.S. radio shows.

Detor is one of the many artists Fleming Artists
represents. The agency also represents artists from the U.S., Canada, the British Isles and Australia.

Detor played a variety of songs from both old and new albums, such as “Lay Him Down,” “Red Velvet Box” and “Waterline.”

“Thank you for coming out, folks,” Detor said at the end of the concert. “All of you, thanks for supporting independent music.”

There are only two concerts left in the season, and people are looking forward to the finale, Butler said.

“This is the first time we’ve heard Krista Detor,” Butler said. “It’s great that Bloomington Parks and Recreation puts on these shows during the summer. It brings a great cross-section of the community together, and everyone really enjoys it.”