Party to showcase IU Art Museum after CultureFest

The IU Art Museum’s annual CultureFest After-Party will take place from 7 to 10 p.m.today.

The museum organizes the After-Party every year, welcoming new students to campus and celebrating the start of a new semester.

This year, the After-Party will feature live comedy from the Best of Bloomington Comedy Showcase, as well as live music from Art From All Angles, The Vallures and
DJ Eade.

“This year, we are actually adding live comedy, which is a first for the event,” Event Coordinator Ann Field said. “Normally we only do live music. There will be live music and a DJ outdoors and live comedy indoors.”

Guests can sample coffee from around the world provided by Angles Cafe and chocolates provided by BLU Boy Chocolate Cafe. Each guest is encouraged to find a piece of art he or she likes and fill out an information card about it. The cards are then entered into a prize drawing for gift certificates donated from local restaurants and retailers.

“We are hoping that by being able to give gift certificates, it will give incentives for guests to look around and see what the museum has to offer,” Field said.

Although the After-Party has grown in participation each year, Field said she would like to see more students in the galleries.

“We feel that by throwing a party, they may see it as a less stuffy environment and actually realize that the gallery is here on campus for them to enjoy,” Field said.