IU traditions create Hoosier atmosphere in town

IU traditions make the University atmosphere electric.

During many sporting events, the crowds are a sea of crimson and cream, with both students and alumni cheering on the team.

“We never turn on our team no matter what, and even in a rough season, we’re always there,” M.B.A. student Carly Lovett said.

Indiana fans chant cheers and sing the school fight song during many of the athletic events at the University, often in tandem with the Marching Hundred, IU Cream and Crimson cheer squads and the Redsteppers dance unit.

Popular dances and cheers at the games include the “Zombie Nation” dance, which includes extending arms and mimicking zombie moves and the boisterous “Doctor Hoosier” cheer.

Many of the traditions are passed down through new student orientations, said Co-Director of the IU Visitor Center, Cole Dietrich.

Another job of the Visitor Center is to hand out print-outs with the school fight song.
“Having it in printed form is something the kids can hold on to if they decide to come to IU,” he said.

Traditions at IU do not always revolve around the Big Ten conference sports, though.
Junior Kaitlin Karr said she enjoys the Little 500.

“I love how an intramural sport can bring so many people together, and it feels amazing to be part of such a big tradition,” Karr said.

At IU, there’s something for everyone to support.

“I feel like we have a lot of spirit,” Lovett said. “We are loyal fans, which is very unique and encouraging to me.”

IU Fight Song

“INDIANA, OUR INDIANA”
Indiana, our Indiana
Indiana, we’re all for you
We will fight for the cream and crimson
For the glory of old IU.
Never daunted, we cannot falter
In the battle, we’re tried and true.
Indiana, our Indiana,
Indiana, we’re all for you!

Lyrics by Russel P. Harker
Music from “The Viking March” by Karl L. King