First United Church puts on benefit concert

Upon entering the narthex of First United Church on Third Street, people milled around a table laden with fliers and a donation box for the Interfaith Winter Shelter. Then they moved into the large, wood-ceilinged sanctuary.

First United coordinated the benefit concert, Voices United, for the shelter Sunday evening.

“Interfaith is an association of local faith communities with the single purpose of providing a warm place to sleep for guests who have no home,” IFWS Board President David Schilling said. “This concert is not just a celebration of great music. It is a celebration of sharing.”

The concert was free, but donations for the Shelter were encouraged.

“I just want to say that this was something that came out of the blue and came together so nicely,” First United Music Director David Wood said. “I’m just blown away. I think it’s gonna knock your socks off.”

A number of well-known Bloomington musicians, including Nathaniel Olson, Kevin Murphy, Tom Walsh and Rachel Caswell, performed at the concert for free to benefit the shelter.

After Schilling and Wood made introductions, baritone Olson and pianist Murphy opened Voices United.

Olson, currently pursuing a master’s in voice at IU, sang “Long Time Ago” and “Simple Gift,” among other pieces. Olson played the lead role in “A View from the Bridge” with the IU Opera Theater in October 2011.

Murphy, professor of practice and head opera coach at the IU Opera Theater, accompanied Olson on the piano.

Following Olson and Murphy, jazz performers Rachel Caswell, Tom Walsh, Steve Zegree, Jeremy Allen and Ben Lumsdaine took the stage.

“If you’re into the jazz scene here in Bloomington at all, then these names are probably familiar to you,” Wood said. “I’m ecstatic to present this group at this benefit.”

Before leaving the stage, Wood asked the crowd if they were having a good time. Enthusiastic applause greeted him.

Vocalist Cindy Kallet and flutist Grey Larsen were next to perform. Singing different folk songs and playing Irish jigs, Kallet told the audience, “don’t be shy about singing along.”

During a brief intermission, the orchestra set up gear and prepared the final performance of the evening, “Missa Solemnis in C Major,”  K. 337 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The words to “Kyrie,” “Gloria,” “Credo,” “Sanctus” and “Agnus Dei” were printed for the audience.

From opera to jazz, folk style to orchestra, the concert remained diverse and drew a large crowd.

“I think it’s important to find ways to support the shelter,” Bloomington resident Julia Livingston said. “I would prefer the city had a permanent shelter. I feel like this is a good effort, but much more is needed to help those in need.”