Day trip destinations

Super Bowl Money

Somehow explore all of campus and town? Meet some of Bloomington's neighbors.

INDIANAPOLIS
70 minutes northwest
Follow State Road 37 north out of town to reach this bustling metropolis, the capital and largest city in Indiana.

The Circle City might be best known for its passion for sports, with the Colts (NFL), Pacers (NBA) and Indians (Triple-A baseball) calling downtown home. On the west side, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway plays host to The Greatest Spectacle in Racing, the Indianapolis 500, in addition to NASCAR’s Brickyard 400 each year.

Indianapolis has plenty to offer outside of athletics, however. Those looking to shop will find a welcoming place, with malls scattered throughout the city — perhaps none more chic than the Fashion Mall on the city’s north side.

For those in search of a younger, more hip crowd — or simply some awesome food — the near-north side’s Broad Ripple Village is perfect. The closest thing to Bloomington in Indy, Broad Ripple has garnered a reputation for being artsy and fun with fairs and bars all around.

NASHVILLE, IND.
30 minutes east
Art enthusiasts will find Nashville to be a small slice of heaven — the Brown County Art Gallery, Brown County Art Guild and T.C. Steele State Historic Site all house paintings past and present by top artists from around the state.

The town’s artistic spirit draws inspiration from nearby Brown County State Park, which offers some of the most spectacular views and plentiful wildlife in the Hoosier state — which may be explored by foot, mountain bike or even by horse, all on the park’s extensive trail system.

If you’re a music buff, catch the Lloyd Wood Show at Mike’s Dance Barn just outside town or the world’s oldest continuous running bluegrass festival at Bill Monroe’s Music Park every June.

COLUMBUS, IND.
60 minutes east
Widely renowned for its bold architecture, Columbus makes for an off-beat destination as unique as it is inspiring. While the south-central Indiana town of 40,000 might not seem like an ideal location for architectural innovation, it has a global reputation. The Chicago Tribune has referred to Columbus as “a smalltown architectural mecca,” and Smithsonian Magazine similarly complimented it as a “veritable museum of modern architecture.”

Whatever name visitors choose to assign to the town, they can explore it and judge for themselves on a guided bus tour — but those with limited time should be sure to check out First Christian Church, North Christian Church and Mabel McDowell Adult Education Center, all of which have been designated National Historic Landmarks.

FRENCH LICK, IND.
80 minutes south
Nestled in the rural stretch of land between Bloomington and the Ohio River, French Lick might seem an unlikely spot for a resort town. However, the historic settlement, once a French trading post, boasts luxury hotels, a large casino, three golf courses and Big Splash Adventure Water Park, making it a perfect family getaway.

Nearby Pakota Lake, especially popular during the summer, provides a picturesque backdrop for aquatic activities of all types. For a change of pace and mode of transportation, try the French Lick Scenic Railway, which takes passengers well into Hoosier National Forest and even features mock “train robberies” on select weekends.