BPP organizes annual Scriptease Gala

The Bloomington Playwrights Project will present its annual Scriptease Gala on Friday at the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center.

The pre-event cocktail reception will begin at 6:30 p.m. and the dinner and main entertainment will be begin at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets for the sold-out gala cost $100 and are tax deductible.

The event will include both a live and silent auction, a cocktail hour with appetizers, live entertainment from members of the company and dinner.

“It’s our main fundraiser for the organization,” said Jessica Reed, BPP managing director and IU graduate. “Our main goal is to raise money, obviously, but also to make sure our attendees have a lot of fun.”

The gala is marketed as a “one-of-a-kind entertainment experience.”

The Indiana Memorial Union will cater the event.

Items being auctioned this year include lunch with Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan, two concert tickets with reserved seats to any concert at the Vogue Nightclub and a one-week vacation in Isla Mujeres, Mexico.

BPP is a nonprofit organization and produces five main stage shows per season. Two shows are in the fall while the other three are in the spring.

The company will start its 2012-13 season Sept. 28 with “Rx” by Kate Fodor. Other shows this season will include “Lemonade” by Mark Krause, “The Truman Show: A Musical” by Alex Gemignani and Brad Bauner, “Ampersand” by Vincent Delaney and “Spun: A Comedic Rock Musical” by Jeremy Schonfeld and Emily Goodson.

Chad Rabinovitz, producing artistic director for the gala, said he wants Scriptease to get people excited about BPP’s work throughout the rest of the year.

“It’s a time when we can celebrate the people who support us and offer some of the support back, as well,” Rabinovitz said. “At the end of the day, it is an extremely high-class event, and it’s a lot of fun.”