Forgive and forget?

Three years ago it looked like Chris Brown’s career was over — that he would forever be defined by the vicious beating he dealt then-girlfriend Rihanna en route to the 2009 Grammy awards. 

Today he’s the number-one selling artist in America.

Indeed, 2012 is shaping up to be Brown’s year. His fifth album, “Fortune,” debuted at the top of the American and UK charts.

Brown won Best Male R&B Artist at the 2012 BET Awards and performed his #1 single “Turn up the Music.”

However, it was Brown’s triumph at this year’s Grammys that solidified his unlikely comeback. After a two-year exile from music’s biggest night, Brown performed twice and won Best R&B Album. Although he received a standing ovation from the crowd, which included Rihanna, his appearance was not without controversy.

“And Chris Brown Twice? I don’t get it. He beat on a girl... Not cool that we act like that didn’t happen,” country star Miranda Lambert tweeted.

In a mature move that helped rehabilitate his image and emphasize his grammatical prowess, Brown responded to his critics via Twitter: “Hate all you want becuz I got a grammy now! That’s the ultimate fuck off!”

What is truly astonishing about Brown’s comeback is that he has made no honest attempt to redeem himself.

Two days prior to the staged comeback at the Grammys, Brown reportedly attempted to pick up a girl with the line, “I promise I won’t beat you.”

Instead of seeking atonement, Brown has somehow managed to capitalize on the stigma attached to him after the 2009 incident, cultivating a bad-boy aura his fans find appealing.

After the Grammys, many women sent tweets to the effect of, “Chris Brown can beat me any time.” Once reviled for his actions, he’s embraced for his assault rather than in spite of it.

Is it okay to listen to Chris Brown’s music? Am I supporting domestic violence when I buy “Turn up the Music” on iTunes?

It seems that throughout the last year our collective cultural memory has successfully repressed any feelings of guilt.

Flashback to March 2011. Although Breezy’s fourth album, “F.A.M.E.,” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts, the Rihanna controversy continued to dog him.

Brown appeared on “Good Morning America” while promoting “F.A.M.E.” Following the interview, which included questions he didn’t like about Rihanna, he went on an off-air rampage. He destroyed his dressing room and shattered a window, before leaving the building after tearing his shirt from his body.

He took to Twitter as he stormed out of the studio: “I’m so over people bring this past shit up!! Yet we praise Charlie Sheen and other celebs for there bullshit.”

He has a point there.

Pop culture has ignored some heinous celebrity abuse allegations. The night before “The Dark Knight” premiere, Christian Bale was accused of assaulting his mother and sister. He was only able to attend the premiere after being released on bail. That he probably assaulted his own mother didn’t really get much attention.

What differentiates Brown’s situation? Why does it continue to be a point of fixation? It has to be the visual evidence.

If the photos of a Rihanna so bloodied and swollen she was almost unrecognizable weren’t released, the incident probably wouldn’t still prominently reside in the pop culture conscious. It would be inhuman to look at those photos and not feel a pang of horror, a surge of anger toward Brown.

What might be more disturbing is that Brown doesn’t understand what he did wrong. Instead, he feels as though he has been victimized by the media and other haters. Brown addresses the effect the incident has had on his life on “Fortune.”

On “Bassline” Brown sings, “You’ve heard about my image/I could give a flying motherfuck who’s offended.” The lyrics are true.

Brown really doesn’t care what people think about his personal life, nor should he. Rihanna has forgiven him; the pair have been reportedly hooking up for the past few months.

Brown has even received approval from Rihanna’s family. Rihanna’s father said Brown and his daughter would make the “perfect couple” in a recent interview.

Jay-Z, Rihanna’s long time mentor and frequent collaborator, seems to be the only voice of reason. He’s reportedly told Rihanna he is “deeply disappointed” that she seems to have forgotten what Brown did to her, as evidenced by their recent collaborations and romantic reunion.

Jay-Z might never work with Brown, but in a hip-hop market increasingly defined by collaborations, Brown has found a home away from home at Lil Wayne’s Young Money label.

Brown’s feud with Young Money rapper Drake resulted in a bloody bar fight in June. Demonstrating just how valuable Brown has become, Young Money patriarch Lil Wayne has urged Drake to quash the feud for financial reasons.

That’s right. Lil Wayne told his protégé to step off because Brown is good for business.

Without a sincere apology, Brown has still managed to regain everything and emerge at a heightened level of success.

We hate the game, but not enough to hate the players.