Column: Will the Colorado Shooting Affect the Way We Enjoy Going to the Movies?

By now, I’m sure you’ve all heard about the Colorado shooting that took place on Friday during the midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises.” The shooting took 12 lives and left even more injured.

Those in the film industry have adjusted to the impact of this senseless act. Out of respect for the victims, Warner Bros. Pictures won’t release the overall revenue until after the weekend. All gun references will reportedly be removed from the movie’s trailer.

I just can’t help but feel for the cast and crew of the movie as well. Before Friday, “The Dark Knight Rises” could have been known as a thrilling masterpiece to receive huge numbers at the box office. Now the batman franchise is probably going to be associated with this tragedy.

The movie has made $30 million from midnight showings alone.  But now I fear people might not wish to view the film because they might be reminded of the shooting, especially during violent scenes. Just as people go to a lighthearted film to feel happy, a romantic comedy to feel hopeful or an indie film to feel cultured, people might avoid “The Dark Knight Rises” to escape feeling disturbed by Friday’s attack.

It is such a shame that an attack occurred in the same place millions of people go to in order to escape reality. I love going to the movies because, for a few hours, I feel safe, being swept up in an alternate reality. Now, I wonder: Will going to the movies ever be the same?

The trailer for the upcoming film “Gangster Squad,” which includes a movie theater shooting scene, has been removed indefinitely from screenings for “The Dark Knight Rises.”

Instead of cinemas being a place where people can escape, it now seems they will be a reminder of how cruel reality can be. People’s main concern while at the movies was avoiding sitting near someone obnoxious, but safety has become an issue. Will going to the movies ever be the same? I honestly don’t know. I just don’t want a movie theater to remind me of the inside of an airport.

­— sarizzi@indiana.edu