The sweet smell of (academic) success

IU provides students with opportunities to prepare for courses

Between the time freshmen attend orientation and the time they begin classes in the fall, is there anything that incoming students can do to prepare for college academics and the courses that await them?

INTENSIVE FRESHMAN SEMINARS
Intensive Freshman Seminars (IFS) are a three-week program that takes place in August. Through this program, students have the opportunity to take a college course and become acquainted with the campus before thousands of other new students move to Bloomington.

“Anything students can do to start setting boundaries before the semester will be helpful for maintaining some discipline and a reasonable lifestyle when on campus,” said Dr. Lisa Thomassen, who teaches an IFS course.

OTHER RESOURCES
Students may go to their resident assistant (RA), professors and advisers for help with the transition to college academics.

“To be successful academically, people need to be in charge of what they are doing and know how to do it,” University Division adviser Joyce Miller said.

“Don’t be afraid to ask questions. When you’re new, it’s important to ask enough questions to figure out what it is that you need to do.”

JUST RELAX

“Frankly, I don’t think there is any way for incoming students to prepare for the remarkable adventure that awaits them at Indiana University,” telecommunications professor Michael McGregor said.

“My recommendations would be something like work hard, have fun, spend as much time with your friends in high school as you can.”