Sunday, June 16

Stoops to run for Simpson's Indiana Senate seat

Democrat and current Monroe County Commissioner Mark Stoops has thrown his hat into the race for the soon-to-be-empty seat of current state Sen. Vi Simpson, D-Ellettsville.

Simpson, the current Indiana Senate Democratic Leader, announced on May 22 she will run for lieutenant governor with Democratic gubernatorial candidate John Gregg. She has served in the Senate since 1984.

Joined by a crowd of about 20 supporters at a press conference outside the Monroe County Government Center on Thursday, Stoops laid out his platform positions and emphasized the need for patience and small steps in the legislative process.

“Democrats are a small majority in the Senate,” he said. “Success will not come from storming the tower.”

Stoops served on the Monroe County Council for eight years before being defeated by Republican Marty Hawk in 2006. Stoops was again elected a county commissioner in 2008.

He is well known for his opposition to the proposed Interstate 69 route through Monroe County and helping to create the County Employee Health Clinic.

Stoops told the crowd that his legislative strategy includes taking the time to understand how pieces of a complex problem fit together and listening to advice from relevant experts.

Stoops said his positions include support of collective bargaining and support of gay marriage. He emphasized his support of teachers and not slashing school funding.

He also said that, if elected, he plans to protect access to food stamps and unemployment benefits. He said he also plans to uphold Simpson’s support for state health care programs.

As a state senator, he said he will focus on Indiana’s environmental issues.
“We are so polluted that other states are suing us,” Stoops said.

Indiana needs to search for new-energy job opportunities and invest in alternative transportation, Stoops said.

Stoops will face Republican Reid Dallas of Ellettsville  in the race for Simpson’s seat in November’s general election.

“Not only will I win, I will do it by a margin so wide that people will clearly know what the voters of Bloomington and Monroe County stand for,” Stoops said.

Cheryl Munson, a Monroe County resident, said at the press conference that she supports Stoops for state senate.

She said she has followed Stoops’ political career since he began serving on the county council in 2000 and was “thrilled” he was running for Simpson’s seat.

“He made so many right decisions,” Munson said of Stoops’ time on city council and as county commissioner. “Vi has very big shoes to fill. I can’t believe people of Monroe County won’t see his past contributions.”