Mastering move in: Tips from the experts about how to get in and get settled

Move in 2010

While the residence halls make the process as smooth as possible, these experts tell you how to avoid being caught in chaos by being prepared and organized.

“We recommend packing in bags or boxes that can be managed by one person,” said Pam Sprong, assistant director of communications and marketing at RPS.

Packing in laundry baskets and plastic tubs also make for easy trips to the car. These storage containers can stay in the room to store out-of-season or bulky clothing in the overhead closet compartments or under the beds.

“I lived on the third floor, and we didn’t have an elevator, so making many light trips was better than struggling with heavy loads,” junior Ryan Bays said. 

Doors officially open at 8 a.m., but it is expected to be busy throughout the entire day.

“The longest lines will probably be the traffic getting to campus,” said Melanie Payne, associate director of the Office of First Year Experience Programs and director of New Student Orientation. “In recent years, mid-morning seems to be a good time to plan for. Arriving into town the night before is often a good plan, to be ready to start and already be close the next morning.”

Arriving students are to check in at their residence hall’s center desk, show their student ID and receive their keys.

From there, vehicles are directed to curbside parking adjacent to specific buildings for a 15-minute unloading allotment. After everything is unloaded, vehicles can be moved to a nearby parking lot, and items can begin to be carried inside.

While some rolling carts are available to check out, there is not an ample supply.

“Rolling carts could be beneficial to bring, hence, everyone is trying to claim one when there are only seven or eight of them,” two-time Resident Assistant Wendy Pitts said. “If people brought their own, they could get done a lot sooner.”

Another helpful hint is to avoid moving in at the same time as your student’s roommate. While it is exciting to meet the roommate for the first time, two families moving nine months’ worth of stuff into a dorm room can be stressful. Give your student time to unpack and get organized.

To end the day, students and families are encouraged to attend the Freshman Induction Ceremony, an IU tradition and the ceremonial “welcome” to their new academic home.

“That’s a great event to do together before parents then leave for home,” said Payne. “Students will have required orientation meetings that night and lots of Welcome Week events to help them adjust, so the Induction Ceremony and picnic is a perfect time for parents and students to say their goodbyes.”

The official move-in day is Wednesday, Aug. 15. However, it is possible to sign up to arrive as early as Sunday, Aug. 12, and pay a $30-per-day charge. To register for early arrival, visit the Residential Programs & Services website.

For more information, dates for standard move in and the link for early move in registration, visit the online Move In Guide at http://www.rps.indiana.edu/mig.cfml.

More move-in tips

• Pack in small manageable containers or bags.
  • Bring personal rolling cart if space in your vehicle allows.
  • Dress comfortably — it is August in the Midwest.
  • Avoid moving in at the same time as your student’s roommate.
  • After receiving your student’s room key, have them get in the habit of keeping it in a convenient place (a lanyard or keychain can be helpful).
  • If moving onto a high floor, use stairs when possible but be patient when waiting for elevators.
  • Keep updated on the possibility of construction delays at http://www.indiana.edu/~bypass/index.shtml.
  • Plan on attending one of two Freshman Induction Ceremonies at either 2 p.m. or 4 p.m. Students and parents can RSVP at www.iu.edu/~induct.
  • For more information, dates for standard move in and the link for early move in registration, visit the online Move In Guide at http://www.rps.indiana.edu/mig.cfml.
  • Keep updated on Welcome Week with the IU First Year Experiences Program’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/iufye.