Make your student feel at home while away from home

Pages for Prisoners

For many students beginning their college years, there is the concern of how to make their new home away from home actually feel like home. It can be a difficult process, but with the right guidance from parents, it doesn’t have to be too painful.

Different things such as visits, care packages and learning about resources on campus are great ways to make students comfortable.

Bill Shipton, director of Student Programs and Services, said parents should be there to help students feel comfortable without overwhelming their child.

“It’s difficult for parents to understand the difference between supporting and rescuing,” he said.

While many Indiana students agree that parent visits can be great, 2012 graduate Brittney Little said if a parent arrives unexpectedly, it can cause more trouble than help. Many other students agreed with Little.

Students said parents should come during the day and during more slow-paced weekends when there isn’t much going on. They also said they should give their student plenty of heads up.

Little said visits — parents heading to Bloomington or students heading home — should be short and not too frequent so as to allow students to adjust on their own without becoming overly dependent. Little explained that her own parents had her wait at least 6 weeks before they visited.

Another great way for students to feel at home while on campus is having their parents mail items to them from home such as favorite foods and letters in the form of a care package. Care packages are great to send, or planned.

Junior Britni Farace said receiving a care package during the holidays or randomly throughout the year is an excellent way for parents to get students what they need and a little piece of “home sweet home.” The more personal the care package, the more effective it will be for students, Farace said.

It is also a good idea to help first year students adjust to campus by parents educating themselves more about the help resources on campus, said Melanie Payne, associate director of First Year Experience Programs. Parents should learn where they can encourage students to go when they need help.

“The beauty of IU is that no matter what the problem is, someone here can help,” said Payne. “Parents should not be the person rescuing the students, but instead helping to empower students.”

Build the perfect care package

• Something to encourage students Cards, posters, books.
  • Something familiar Photos, stuffed animals.
  • Something edible Treats, coffee.
  • School supplies Pens, notebooks.
  • Something practical Toothpaste, shampoo.