Sacha script satisfies

Sacha doesn't fall flat.

Unlike Sacha Baron Cohen’s previous hits, which relied on ridiculous characters interacting with real people, “The Dictator” is a scripted comedy. 

Cohen’s character this time around is Aladeen, the callous and lonely dictator of the fictional Republic of Wadiya. When the United Nations threatens military action against Aladeen’s nuclear program, he travels to New York to address the U.N.’s concerns. Along the way, the film stumbles through a romance between Aladeen and Zoey (Anna Faris). While the venture into scripted comedy works fairly well overall, fans of Ali G, Borat and Bruno should be warned that the humor here isn’t exactly the same.

The movie is plenty funny, and it effectively satirizes both autocracy and democracy. However, Cohen’s over-the-top and over-the-line humor doesn’t quite belong in a scripted comedy. Part of what made “Borat” great was watching the character’s antics make real people squirm. In “The Dictator,” these same antics seem at times like he’s trying a little too hard. 

The scripted format is necessary for such a high-profile character to work, and “The Dictator” is ultimately a rewarding experience. Fans of Cohen’s fearlessly vulgar comedy will not go home disappointed.

By Corin Chellberg