Police respond to Occupy Bloomington May Day event

Occupy

Police responded to an Occupy Bloomington event Tuesday morning after receiving a complaint at 8:03 a.m. that protesters had erected an Army surplus tent on a city-owned lot near the B-Line Trail between 10th and 11th streets.

Approximately 20 occupy protesters gathered in the lot to kick off their May Day celebration, the International Day of Workers Solidarity, said protester Adam Watts.

When more than 25 police officers arrived, including officers from the Bloomington Police Department, Monroe County Sheriff’s Department, IU Police Department and Indiana State Police, officers began dismantling the tent.

BPD Detective Sergeant John Kovach said officers did not care if the group protested, but they did not want the tent erected.

BPD officer Dana Runnebohm carried a pepper ball gun, Kovach said.

Once officers dismantled the tent and left it folded on the green grass, they walked toward their squad cars in a group as protesters clapped and cheered.

“From Bloomington to Greece, fuck the police,” protesters yelled in unison.

Watts said the surplus tent was intended to act as a central meeting location and rain shelter during their day-long May Day festivities. The Really, Really Free Market, which allowed members of the community to obtain or give away free items, was supposed to take place inside the tent, Watts said.

But once officers disallowed the structure, they moved the event to a location along the B-Line Trail.

As such a “mild and tame event,” Watts said he was surprised it was taken as a serious threat from various law enforcement agencies.

“It just shows exactly how terrified the people in control are and how much they are beginning to realize that they are losing their power, that the people are taking the power back,” Watts said. “Although the tent was the official complaint, I think it was much larger than that.”

Following the Really, Really Free Market, Occupiers hosted a “teach-in” at Boxcar Books at 408 E. 6th St.

Beginning at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Watts said protesters are planning a rally at IU’s Sample Gates, followed by a march to an unknown location at 6 p.m.

Between 10 p.m. and midnight, Watts said the group will then convene at IU’s Herman B Wells Library to discuss alternatives to “corporate” universities.

“Even though I am a student and not in a trade union, it’s a day of solidarity to show that this is our collective fight, both yours and mine, and I’ve got your back,” Watts said.